The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-26-2023, 12:13 PM   #1
BanjoDude

A/C Help

Hi guys. Got my wiring cleaned up a fair bit yesterday. Back looking for some help this time with aftermarket a/c. The PO said the a/c works, but he didn't use it often, so he took the belt off. I'd like to restore it to working order if I can, keeping it as "original" as possible (I know the unit isn't factory, but I like it because my Grandpa installed it 50 years ago, and I'd like to keep it the way I remember it as a kid). I tried to include pictures that show the whole system. A few questions:

1) Probably a dumb question, but where is the refrigerant in the system? With only rubber hoses held on with hose clamps, I can't understand how refrigerant comes into play here. I guess I'd expect high-pressure hoses, but I also acknowledge I don't understand completely how these things work.

2) It seems like the hoses could be cleaned up a fair bit and routed more efficiently. Is there any significance to any of the loops in the hoses?

3) In the under-dash unit, there is a bunch of mastic around a couple of the fittings where the hoses connect to the condenser. I'm assuming there is a leak of some kind there that he was trying to keep at bay. Is that something I can replace if I find that it leaks?

4) Anything else I should check out or consider?

Thanks, as always, for the guidance. I sure appreciate it!

Wes
Attached Images

"For just a little more, you can do it yourself!"
BanjoDude is offline   Reply With Quote