The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2023, 05:44 PM   #1
D-n-Tyke

Advice needed on a-arm rebuild

So we are rebuilding the upper and lower control arms on our C20, replacing both the ball joints and crossshafts in all the arms. Got the uppers put back together without to much issues. Torqued the 4 ball joint bolts to 15ft/lbs and the crossshaft bushings to 90ft/lbs.

Moved on to the lower control arms and that is where the issues started. Tried installing the new crossshaft to 100ft/lbs but the bushing isn't fully seating before hitting the 100ft/lbs. The bushing isn't even seating into the rubber bushing inside the arm. I tried unthreading bolt bushing and starting over with the same results. I reluctantly put the impact on yhem and see if I could get the threaded bushing to fully seat in the arm. Still no luck. I decided I probably stop and seek the advice of the board. Am I doing something wrong, anyone have this same issue?

I am using new geniune moog crossshafts.

The first 3 pictures are the lower arm, showing how far in I can get threaded bushing.
The 4th ahows how far I could get the threaded bushing i to the upper arms.
Attached Images

D-n-Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote