The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2023, 09:23 AM   #1
HeloCrewChief

1991 V3500 Crew Cab 454/SM465

Was cruising marketplace and stumbled across this one. I had the idea of an old suburban floating around in the back of my head so the entire family can ride together but, when I saw this guy I knew I was in trouble. I’m a fan of the TBI crew cabs with single rear wheels and I had not seen one for sale in a long time. I had an ‘89 I bought from a fellow member but it was a Dually and I was in the middle of several moves. I drove out to see this one and it was a bit rougher than anticipated. Nothing glaringly bad but, in need of overall TLC. Fairly solid for its age. Actually no rust to really take care of. I left without buying it and later that day talked myself into it since it is the last year of the square body. I overpaid but, I knew I would kick myself later for not buying it. I’m a sucker for a big truck with a manual transmission. My plans:

-TR4050 Tremec 5 speed (clutch is gone on the SM465 currently in it). I put a silversport 5 speed in my Chevelle and love it. If the TR4050 is as good as I’ve read, I will swap the Getrag 5 speed in my ‘90 Cummins as well. Basically this truck will be the test bed to see how I like that transmission

-Rear disc conversion. I see some kits for under $400 and that seems like a no brainer to me. I see some folks complain about the emergency brake but it’s nearly non existent on my truck anyway.

-New Exhaust. Undecided here. Should I do a stock single exhaust pipe with catalytic converter replacement or a dual exhaust without converter? Only issue is if I ever want to sell, I’m sure someone in a state with emissions would want a converter.

-Remove carpet and POR-15 floors and lay down insulation. Floors have just surface rust on the outer corners. Better to seal it now and prevent rust through

-Redhead steering box

-2.5” lift with new shocks. Who makes a lift for this? No one list one. Do I need to just find one for an older K30?

-16x8 powder coated white wheel vintiques steelies with BFG AT2. Undecided on size

-Paint

-little stuff like bulbs, dash bezel, sill plates, rear slider

-Get the A/C working. Hoses look newer. Belt is off compressor.
Attached Images

1968 Chevelle
1964 Comet Caliente
1990 W250 Cummins

Last edited by HeloCrewChief; 06-11-2023 at 09:37 AM.
HeloCrewChief is offline   Reply With Quote