The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2023, 03:48 PM   #34
PbFut

Re: Battery/amp gauge

I have installed a set of spal fans to 1972 GMC C25/2500 Per the instructions from Champion, they say to connect to the power source at the Positive terminal close to the battery. I have everything working relative to the fans and relay triggers to my satisfaction. Connecting in this manner confuses the loads read by the Battery/Amp meter giving a erroneous heavy charge condition when the fans are on. I moved the connection on a very temporary (what if) test, to alternator post. Without the alternator turning I did as brief as I could trigger to run the fans. It pinned the meter to correctly show a discharge, but obviously way too much. I disconnected and verified I had not popped any links or fuses. So it is clear I need to wire this circuit differently to correctly use of the Battery/Amp meter with the fans. I am just not sure of the correct procedure. Do I need to connect the fan power close to the Alternator with a shunt to the terminal by the battery??? If so, suggestion for best location to connect and how to shunt?
If I sound like I know what I am saying, I don't. If not its again because I really don't fully understand the mechanics of the wiring.
Thank you for the assistance
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote