The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2023, 08:07 PM   #1
dmjlambert

Safety wire accessory hex-shaped clips

I had on my list of things to do to safety wire the exhaust manifold bolts the next time I had the exhaust manifold bolts out. I bookmarked some interesting tabs or clips. The clips are like a steel washer-like material that goes under the bolt head, it is oversized, stamp-cut with 6 tabs, and folded such that a 9/16 bolt head or nut fits in it and you would use a size up socket or wrench to tighten the bolt (use 5/8 or 11/16 socket fits on the bolt with clip). The tabs of this clip extend higher than the bolt head. Holes are in the tabs allowing use of safety wire without drilling the bolt heads. So just insert the bolt or nut into this thing, and screw it on and torque it, and there you have a fastener that can be safety wired.

The problem is I have lost the bookmark, and can't figure out what these were called, and can't find them in my searches. I am recalling from my memory they may have been from McMaster Carr, but don't know for sure. I think they would be pretty nifty and very convenient for some situations, and header or exhaust manifold bolts come to mind as one use case. I have been using french locks, but they don't do the bolts where I use air conditioner bracketry, and don't do the inner bolts of the exhaust manifold, and they are sharp-edged, inconvenient, and not very re-useable. Does anybody recognize the devices I am describing that a bolt or washer would fit into and allow convenient safety wiring?
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote