The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2023, 11:48 AM   #1
reb162

Vintage Air Questions

In the process of cab repair/welding and I"m shaving the cowl add want to prep for the A/C properly. Pretty sure I want to go with Vintage Air but have the following questions I"m hoping folks can help me with.

Truck is 1972 non A/C cab but I"m replacing the dash with an A/C dash (vent holes already cut) since the radio hole was cut. I"m also using a crate Vortec engine and have an early 90"s truck serpentine system.

1. Which vintage air kit..originally A/C or originally non A/C? Unclear to me if I buy the originally non A/C kit if the supplied vents will fit in the factory dash holes (i.e. are the holes they would have you drill different than factory holes)? If I buy the A/C kit, I do not have any of the vents since the truck was originally non/AC.

2. Looks like their Gen 5 system has gone all digital and their supplied A/C control head in dash has obnoxious "vintage air" printed on it..is there a way of taking that off? The Gen IV units I think let you use the OEM controls but were harder because you had to calibrate them whereas their gen V units are all digital.

3. Since I'm shaving the cowl, I"d like to drill the holes for the hoses now while doing the cab work. Is there template online on how to locate these holes or is the only way to purchase the kit first and use their blanking plate as the template?

4. Lastly, since I have the early 90's GM Truck serpentine setup which uses the long water pump, will vintage air compressor work? Is there an adapter for serpentine? Alternatively, can I just use the early 90s pancake compressor meant for the serpentine rather than vintage air"s?

Thanks for the help!
-Bob