The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-09-2024, 05:17 PM   #26
Mike_The_Grad

Re: Cab rust repair.

Since I'm this far into the repair work, I'm going to fix the pillars on both sides of the cab. I have the doors somewhat acceptable for gaps and latch engagement. But I'm wondering if I start banging the pillar back into shape might that mess with my hinges on the cab side? Should I brace the hinges together with some strap material? Probably not because I would think I want the pillar to not be in a bind while trying to knock them back into shape. I have all the patch panels for replacing: inner/ outer rockers, floor sections, even lower kick panels. Both sides of the cab.
And just to avoid this now, sure I'd love to have a nice straight rust free cab to swap everything over too. Anyone seen any lately? Not me. Oh wait, there's a couple out there, but they want all the money for them. Not like $1,000 or something reasonable. You get what you pay for and factory sheet metal is hard to come by nowadays in usable condition. Example, local Craigslist ad for cab. Cut stereo in the dash, cut doors for speakers, rust in all the corner and rockers bare bones other than the doors attached. Guy wanted $2,500. And no title for the cab. So I said, I think I'll take my chances with patching the metal myself.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote