The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-09-2024, 10:41 PM   #1
farside847

71 : 3-on-the-tree linkage bushing identification

After 120k miles and 53 years, my 71 3-on-the-tree locked up on me going from 1st to 2nd. I took a closer inspection and my linkage is very loose. After comparing it to a few diagrams it looks like a few rubber pieces are completely warn and gone!

To my knowledge the linkage has never been adjusted or removed before, so I guessing they disintegrated from use? But, now I do not have the old ones to look for, so I was hoping to get some help identifying the correct ones to use.

I spent some quality time researching past posts and learned a lot, Here is a great reference I found in other post with some added position numbers that will help me ask my questions down below:
Name:  bushing placement.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  82.4 KB

Here is my column, Mine looks slightly different than the above reference image, but I did notice that there does not seem to be a grommet in position #2, Is this needed for both arms, or just the one closest to the front of the truck? Is this sometimes not used? https://classicparts.com/1947-76-shi...ontrol-grommet

Also, position #3 from the reference image, I am not sure if this is missing on my truck. All I have is a nut and a washer on the back and no "retainer" thingie.
Name:  collumn.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  57.1 KB

Here is the connection where the rod connects to the transmission arm marked #1. The bushings are totally gone, looks like I need two of these per rod. https://www.carid.com/atp/shift-link...pn-jo-119.html - Are these the right ones? and does anyone know of another source, this link is low on stock
Name:  tran.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  36.3 KB

Thanks in advance for any help!