The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2024, 12:11 PM   #1
jeffahart

A6 to Sanden SD7H15 Conversion Results

I know it's a bit of a dead horse beating, but I live where it's hot. Over the winter I converted my A6 to a Sanden SD7H15. The A6 Cooled nicely. But it was dogging my RPM at idle. I needed to really yank hard on a cheater bar to get the belt tight, I hated that. The belt squealed on and off. Especially on hot days. I could only turn the compressor on at a idle or it would squeal. I added and wired a carb solenoid to the compressor switch to up the idle when turn on. That worked well, but it still bothered me.

So I pulled the trigger on the Sanded and Alan Grove mounting brackets. I got the Sanden and brackets from Nostalgic AC, they added the manifold to match my hoses. They are nice people and answer questions, and make sure you get the parts you need.

Results. Conversion was pretty painless. System is R134(I moved to 134 way back when I was still runing the 4 seasons) My RPM now drops about 100 when switched on. No more squealing belt. I drove it in blistering 112 heat and it was blowing 49 at side and center vents. Plus, I have more room around compressor side of the engine and less weight with the new Grove brackets. And, I only have to pull the belt snug and it's tight enough.

A bit of money and effort... but a nice upgrde.

j