The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-08-2024, 11:24 AM   #1
novaX522

Power steering replacement

The power steering system on my 72 c10 was leaking since I bought it. I put some stop leak in it and filled it up as needed for a while. Finally it blew a seal out of the steering gear, so it was time to address the issue.
I read some posts on this site, and it looked like getting a new steering gear was the way to go. I also replaced the steering pump/reservoir, both hoses, coupler, and added a filter on the return line. I got all the parts off Rock Auto. I had to verify input shaft diameter and spline count as there were multiple steering gears to choose from.
Install was pretty easy until I got to the hoses. I tried to pick the hoses that looked like my originals. The fittings were correct, but had to do some bending of the metal lines to get them to fit properly.
Really happy with the results. My original steering gear was 4.5 turns lock to lock. My new one is 3.4 turns lock to lock. The quicker steering is noticeable on corners and roundabouts. The steering was too light before, it has more feel to it now. I’ve also noticed that it drives much nicer at highway speeds, less wandering. It feels like a more modern vehicle now.
Attached Images

novaX522 is offline   Reply With Quote