The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Today, 01:32 PM   #1
samkost

AC Delco Master Cylinder

Just a follow up on my OE style Master Cylinder swap.
With help from a friend we swapped out the OE master cylinder with the new bench bled master, checked the correct gap for the long piston between the booster and the master ( 1/16”+ gap before pedal activation), and then bled the system starting at the right rear drum, left rear drum, right front disc then the driver side disc.
After a test start up to check for leaks I took it for a test drive only to have the same previous hard pedal condition.
I could not lock up the brakes.
I did need to replace the OE master due to age and a little corrosion but now the focus is on a new faulty (less than 150 miles) POL Power Brake Booster.
I did the two pedal tests and it failed both.
I then ran the engine for a few minutes, turned it off and 30 seconds later unplugged the power booster check valve.
No hissing or escaping air at that point. Booster check valve tested good.
I then got a vacuum gauge to the carburetor vacuum line and found 16 in. Hg of vacuum. I believe and hope that this is good enough vacuum.
So after every said and done, turns out I may have a brand new faulty POL Power Brake booster. I have heard that others have had brand new bad booster issues out of the box.
I will call POL on Tuesday and see what they have to say.
I may just go with my OE original functioning black painted Delco Moraine power booster and forget the pretty Cadmium plated after market booster.
no more bling!
I enjoy working and especially learning about my truck.
Any advice and input would again be appreciated.
Thanks all,
Attached Images

1972 C10 LWB
2020 Z71 Tahoe
samkost is online now   Reply With Quote