The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2024, 06:07 PM   #1
Bruce F

Initial Timing Set Up Advise - Inline 6

Hi,

I have a rebuilt inline 6 (230) installed and I am trying to get the initial timing set up. I have read several threads but still have a question or two around some issues I am having. Any input is appreciated - thanks Bruce

A. Setting # 1 cylinder to TDC - I am using paper towel method and it blows out if i turn engine over by hand (or using the remote starter) . When it blows out when turning by hand I am pretty close to the 0 on the timing mark - when I use the remote button it seems to go a bit past 0 before stopping .
question 1 - does the paper towel blow out exactly at TDC? or just near TDC and you may have to adjust a bit to get to TDC
question 2 - do I leave it at TDC 0 mark before moving to the distributor install or do I move it manually to 10 or 12 degrees advance by turning the harmonic balancer?

B. Distributor install - the threads typically say to install the distributor with the rotor facing the # 1 cylinder. When I try to do this I end up a bit off when the distributor gear and oil pump align. I tried to start and timing was way off, i had to turn distributor counterclockwise a lot to get it to fire and then the vacuum advance was in the way.

question3 - do I need to be pointing exactly at # 1 spark plug - if so do need to rotate the oil pump to do that ?
Bruce F is offline   Reply With Quote