The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-31-2004, 01:43 AM   #1
bluex

700R4 Lockup??

Well I got my lockup wired up all except for the brake cancel switch. I put it on a toggle switch so I can turn it off when I'm slowing down. This weekend I drove it to work sat and sun. Its all back roads and I was running about 60-65. It was turning around 1500 locked. Even the smallest hill or incline would have it hunting back between 3-4. I would have to give it more gas to get it to say in third. With it unlocked in 4 it runs about 2k. It would only downshift then on a good sized hill and no hunting just straight to 3. Will it hurt anything to run in OD with it unlocked? I'm thinking my main problem is not enough gear (3.08) for the speeds I'm going to run normaly. I hate the interstate and aviod it whenever possible so my main crusing speeds are under 70. To get about 2k in lockup @ 65 I'm thinking I need at least a 3.73 gear? I'm not planning on gears anytime soon so I'd like to just run in OD and save the lockup for the highway.

Here is a list of the stuff done to the tranny:

New frictions/bands--Black High temp/High energy
HD Pump
'Vette Servo
Mod lube circuit
2-4 band reinforced
29 element GM HD sprag
2k reman 'vette stall

I bought it off ebay from a local (linclonton NC by swervin) shop. It has a 12 mo warrenty. Look here for one of his auctions. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

I'm really happy with it other than the above problem. It also runs the gears out at light throttle to 3k. Seems a little high to me, but probably has something to do with the shift kit.

Thanks
Paul
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote