The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2004, 02:20 PM   #1
Orange '71 GMC

Are used factory air systems still desirable?

Or is everyone building them from scratch with new aftermarket parts?
The reason I ask, I had an old parts truck (1969 GMC Custom) that I robbed the Factory A/C off of, and I was gonna sale it seperate (since I am not using it).

I didn't know if the facotry air stuff was anything to get excited over, or if everyone is just going with aftermarket kits and such.

As far as the original factory stuff, I have the factory condensor, duct air selector (big box inside under glove box), the plastic duct that runs from there to the metal floor box, the metal floor box, the control assembly with the cables, the outside box (firewall mount) with all the stuff that goes on it, and the metal part that attaches to the compressor. I THINK I also have the wiring harness. And I do have all but the front compressor mounting brackets, OE, passenger side mount.

Then for the rest of the parts that I got to go with it, I have a new heater core, new compressor, new drier/accumulator and mounting straps, and two sets of the side vents (inside cab on front of dash, the round chrome balls).

There may be some other little parts that I have for it, but that's all I could think of. It is a complete set with the exception of the duct work and center vents AFAIK. Most of it is in good shape - and I know it is totally functional. I put this in my truck for a short while - and even charged it with R-12, but the R-12 leaked out due to a pinched O-Ring when installing the part on the back of the compressor...so I then converted it to R-134a and ran it for a while. The truck is changing directions now though, so I don't need it anymore (and this is my last 67-72 project for A WHILE). It worked good though while installed. I know that the little plastic duct that goes inside between the two boxes (shaped like a large S) could be replaced, but that's a $10 part. I think everything else is pretty good though.

Just trying to get some feedback here...I gonna try to sell it I guess - what kind of interest is there in something like this and what kind of price am I looking at? Thanks in advance for your help guys.