The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-28-2004, 06:46 PM   #1
shuttermutt
Don't say "Oops!", Doctor

Okay, what's going on? (Edelbrock 1406 troubles)

I finally put the choke cap on the Edelbrock 1406 that I rebuilt. All is well. The choke works great and I don't have to feather the throttle to keep 'er running when she's cold. It takes the RPM's kind of high for my taste (over 2,000 rpm almost instantly), but it'll do for the moment.

What's annoying, however, is that before I've got two other strange problems that don't have anything at all to do with the choke. I'm pretty sure, anyway, since the truck does the exact same thing with or without the choke wired open. The problems are:
  • For no damn good reason, every so often the idle will change. One time when I hop in the truck it will purr at 800 in Park and 650 in gear. Then shut 'er off, run into a store for a Coke, come back out and it will suddenly not want to idle and, when it does, the idle is only 450 or so RPM.
  • When the engine's warm, I've got to crank it far too much and mash the throttle for it to start.

Now, on the second item, my timing is advanced, but not so much so that it should be causing hard warm starts. I'm wondering if my secondaries aren't shutting all the way (or taking a long time to do so). For example, I drove the truck in to work this morning and it ran like it had fuel injection. Today at lunch, however, it started off fine, but then it had both problems listed above after I came out of the restaurant about 10 minutes after running it up to full operating temperature on the highway -AND- opening the secondaries for the first time all day.

The only other thing I can think of is that, for some reason, the carb is continuing to deliver fuel down the intake after I shut the engine off. I'm not sure what would cause that exactly, but it does act like it's very, very lightly flooded when I jump back in sometimes after it's been driven up to temperature for a while.

I'm just about to hop in and go home. It's been sitting for 5 hours so it's nice and cool now. I'll reply to this thread with details on how it acted when I get to the house. Any tips or suggestions are welcome. Any Edelbrock carb experts coming to the Minnesota board meet?
1967 C10 SWB: Claimed when Bumpster didn't put it on his list
shuttermutt is offline   Reply With Quote