The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2004, 11:11 AM   #1
norville

How hard to swap 87 v6 to v8

Hey folks,

I found a real nice 87 swb auto with v6. I thought about getting this and after a year or so dropping in a v8. Would I be better off with a non-tbi? Or just wait for a truck with a v8.

Is it a matter of just changing mounts and accessories??? Looking for some guidence. I'm thinking a pre 86 would be easier. No computer to deal with. Or will the 6's tbi wiring be used with the V8????

thanks

norville
norville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 03:29 PM   #2
crossy
Oh,you can't buy that new

Norville, There are 3 different Mountaintop, Pa.'s listed with mapquest .. what's up with that?? :-) one near Wilkes-Barre, Stroudsburg & Honeybrook,.
seeing as how you are in Pa. I can tell you that in this area of the U.S. there are NOT a lot of good SWB 87's waiting to be plucked up cheap, especially up near the Poconos. The 4.3 V-6 prolly gets you a lot cheaper starting price and with the factory TBI runs as good if not better than an earlier carbed 305.
The swap itself is not a problem as all the brackets. mounts & stuff you need are abundant and i'm guessing that because of your location that you know the ways around the current PA. emissions BS. Doing a swap without the need for all the pollution BS is a big benefit. I wouldn't want to think what it would be like to install that BACK onto an engine after a swap. The 87-up injected Trucks & blazers & burbs are pretty easy to find now. In your area you could buy a complete one with all the right stuff for a complete V-8 TBI swap for cheap if you hunt the Auto Locator for ones thatare already rotted up the door handles from the salt. I lived in Pa. for 14 years and since moving back to NJ in 94 I have been back a few times to buy 'parts' trucks that had TBI. One burb I bought was even a 454 TBI for $900. It was rusted so bad the front seat was trying to go through the floor.
If you just want a SWB ,like most of us, just because of the personal look, and you found decent one up there, you better grab it.

If you plan on towing or drag racing it ( doubt that) than the V-6 will have to go, but for a daily driver that little 4.3 can be awaken quite nicely and get good MPG and plenty of spunk.
DAVE
98 Vortec project.
94,3500,6.5L 4L80
81 SWB GMC POS finally gone
73 Pinto, stock, w/CragarSS's-eww
LOTS of Cummins trucks.
crossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 03:46 PM   #3
ponchodoc

Its a very simple swap to go from v6 tbi to v8 tbi, I swapped out my tbi for tpi. That wasn't so simple. I really liked the tbi though, its a very nice setup, I just wanted the cool factor of the tpi , plus it will be easier to add a blower to the tpi.
ponchodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 04:05 PM   #4
norville

Thanks for the info..

Near wilkes-barre. Not to many shorty's here. Crossy you hit the nail on the head. The ones I did see were 6's. I didn't look at this one yet. They're asking $2500 firm. It will have to be real clean. Cause I could head to southern pa and find one with a v8.

Living in mountain top, It's kinda hilly here. I've had smaller trucks with 6's and standards and they moved well up here. I just don't want a dog auto 6. Ya, not looking to drag just get my boat up the hill or a load of lumber if needed. If I can get some "spunk" in this 6 I'll keep it longer.

Emmissions aren't that strict yet. Visual and gas cap. They look for cats. If I got an entire vehicle I'd do the whole swap, and never sweat it. How about the harness???

thanks

norv
Old 11-25-2004, 04:10 PM   #5
ponchodoc

you can use stock harness, stock ecm-with prom swapped out. all stock accessories, it really is a simple swap.
ponchodoc is offline   Reply With Quote