The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 12:21 AM   #26
68LSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwing
Just google it. Sad to say there are a lot more of these news reports. A little long but informative. http://www.orlandoweekly.com/news/story.asp?id=2004

Not a very effective argument. Kids not properly secured. Chrysler may have been in the wrong for not having warnings about air bags when they were new but all manufacturers now warn about height/age requirements for front seat occupants. It is the same issue that there were other factors (negligence) and because of that the airbags got the bad rap.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:26 AM   #27
68LSS1

Code:
That quarter second you let off the brakes you have full steering ability and can dodge what you need to.
Code:
I'm only 18.
Code:
I can drive better than the average population
1/4 second, huh? Thanks for making my point.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:38 AM   #28
Peregrine

lol, I love you to :P *heads off to the gallows* Sorry I didn't time my foot action, may I be a lesson to all those attempting to be a good driver that it can't be done. *jumps into spiraling pit of oxymorons* I'm just withdrawled from my NHL season and I'm talking crazy.....

Let the world change you and you will change the world.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:44 AM   #29
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68CST327
Quote:
Cars with anti-lock brakes are more likely to be involved in fatal crashes than cars without them.

-USA Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS)

Interesting quote.
Maybe I missed something earlier but there was more to what they said.

Quote:
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) has conducted several studies trying to determine if cars equipped with ABS are involved in more or fewer fatal accidents. It turns out that in a 1996 study, vehicles equipped with ABS were overall no less likely to be involved in fatal accidents than vehicles without. The study actually stated that although cars with ABS were less likely to be involved in accidents fatal to the occupants of other cars, they are more likely to be involved in accidents fatal to the occupants of the ABS car, especially single-vehicle accidents.
ABS brakes let you stop faster period. If you hit something with the ABS brakes because you didnt stop dont fool yourself and think non ABS brakes would have stopped you sooner. The biggest problem with ABS brakes is most people do not know how to drive with them and operate them. ABS brakes will stop faster everytime over regular brakes that tend to lock up. Too many people get fooled by the the pulsing of the brakes and they either let up or try to reapply them thus loosing valuable time for the ABS brakes to keep working.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:51 AM   #30
Dick Dale
Excelsior, You Fathead.

I agree with Maximum Overdrive. I will admit I am probably one of the idiots to let off and reaply the brake. My 2002 is the first vehicle I have owned with ABS and I am too used to pumping the brake. By the time we get used to these, there will be something new. Curmudgeons relax, we will still have something to complain about.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:45 AM   #31
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Well, I know that when I turned off the ABS in all our ABS vehicles, I stopped quicker, and the vehicle was involved in less 'close calls'.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:05 AM   #32
gmc67swb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
Well, I know that when I turned off the ABS in all our ABS vehicles, I stopped quicker, and the vehicle was involved in less 'close calls'.
The first car I had a panic stop in with ABS stopped so damn fast I was impressed('96 Impala SS). I couldn't even begin to imagine trying to disable them <-this is what will probably really happen if you do! While you're at it you can pull the air bag fuse so you don't get decapicated. As for close calls, that is usually determined by the fools driving around me not whether the ABS is working or disabled.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:24 AM   #33
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

There is legislation to get the auto makers to publish the air bag's electronics, and mechanicals, for that reason alone.
To disable the ABS is simple....as soon as the ABS light comes on, the ABS is disabled, so all you have to do is remove something so that the light comes on.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:13 AM   #34
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man

If you truly believe that by all means keep believing it. ROTFLMFAO

Last edited by Maximum Overdrive; 12-07-2004 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:56 AM   #35
smokekiki
Mike

Sounds like a lot of tailgating and overdriving Your vehicle and abilities going on!
Old 12-07-2004, 11:09 AM   #36
GreyHoundSteve

well im sure i havent been on the road as long as some of you but in my experience ABS is the hands down winner. Like someone mentioned earlier, anytime a relatively NEW safety device is installed on a vehicle the old timers complain about how the odl stuff works better but that is just not true. If the old stuff worked better then it would have not been changed.
My 95 legend has abs but they have been out for the past 4 months and its two worlds worth of diffrence when braking. I have to allow myself TWICE the distance i did before and when the road is wet i take my other car because when brakes lock up your helpless and thats why ANTI LOCK brakes were invented and featured on every new automobile.
As for the stats that say that "more fatal accidents occur with antilock brake equiped vehicles" ..... thats like saying more accidents occur within 30 miles of your home ...... duh. You can find stastistics to back up almost any ignorant arguement but when you take into consideration that MOST vehicles are equiped with abs then its only logical to assume that they will be involved in more accidents and further if you own 2 cars, one with abs and one without and the weather is bad out ...... which one are you going to drive?
Old 12-07-2004, 01:33 PM   #37
454_72_4X4

Quote:
Longhorn Man;
"Teach ppl to DRIVE cars"
I'd have to agree with that statement 500%!

Quote:
Longhorn Man;
I tought my wife to drive when she was 18. I showed her how to react in a panic stop situation. I put her in wet parking lots and showed her how to DRIVE.
Wish I could get my wife to do that. She's so ignorant about DRIVING that she won't even try to learn. (She already knows it all of course). She thinks she's safe because she doesn't drive fast... DUH

Quote:
gmc67swb;
When you panic stop and the tires don't lock, you still have the ability to manuever the vehicle. To me, that would make for a safer vehicle
Quote:
68LSS1;
The point of ABS to mash the brakes and still be able to steer while providing maimum braking effort..
Learn to drive and you can perform the same function better than any computer.

Quote:
Maximum Overdrive
ABS brakes let you stop faster period...
No

My wife HAD an Aerostar van with rear antilock. Worked great 99% of the time. But it also didn't work a few times and was almost impossible to stop without locking up the rear brakes.

I ask you this ABS believers; Since you are obviously going to put your life in the hands of a computer, we all know you're not going to take the time and effort to learn the finer points of driving, What are you going to do when the computer has a "glitch" someday? It's your funeral. I hope I'm not the one in front of you.

I'l take skill over a relying on a computer anyday.
98 Sonoma (TPI outa the Trans Am)
03 Yamaha 660 Raptor
03/04 660 Raptor
07 700 Raptor
85 Honda Odyssey
Old 12-07-2004, 02:16 PM   #38
68LSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454_72_4X4
My wife HAD an Aerostar van with rear antilock. Worked great 99% of the time. But it also didn't work a few times and was almost impossible to stop without locking up the rear brakes.
LOL. Thanks for making my point. Did you think about that while typing it? And as far as when there is problems with the ABS system, that's when that little light on the dash illuminates that says ABS. When the light is lit, the ABS is non functional. I know everyone here thinks they are Mario Andretti but come on. Do you go out everynight and practise panic stops or what? You think just by driving that these things "come" to you? I know everyone is better than a average driver right?
Old 12-07-2004, 02:28 PM   #39
GreyHoundSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68LSS1
LOL. Thanks for making my point. Did you think about that while typing it? And as far as when there is problems with the ABS system, that's when that little light on the dash illuminates that says ABS. When the light is lit, the ABS is non functional. I know everyone here thinks they are Mario Andretti but come on. Do you go out everynight and practise panic stops or what? You think just by driving that these things "come" to you? I know everyone is better than a average driver right?
You beat me. lmfao

I was thinking to myself .... if the abs fails then your right back in the same boat of never having had abs so how is not having it in the first place any better? But mostly i was thinking, whose abs has ever gone out on them in mid stop? I know i have had abs problem of two different cars and neither time did it put my life in danger however not having the abs afterwords has.

Last edited by GreyHoundSteve; 12-07-2004 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:35 PM   #40
Dick Dale
Excelsior, You Fathead.

My wife had a 2000 Intrepid without ABS. Thank God it was a Dodge and in the garage half the time or she might have been killed.
Closed Thread