The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2004, 08:07 PM   #1
eamims

The ghost in the steering wheel

My '77 C-10 350 has started a little problem. When I'm driving it and apply the brakes, the steering wheel turns right several degrees. It only moves a certain amount and doesn't continue to rotate, and it doesn't seem to make the truck turn any...at least not any noticeable amount. I've got disc brake up front, drum in back, and power steering.

The steering has always had a little play in it (I can drive like they do in movies and the truck still goes straight...), but this problem just came up now.

any ideas?
eamims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 08:44 PM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

The front brake hose on the left side is probably deteriorated to the point that the left front brake is NOT applying as much as the right front brake. (common problem) Change out the brake hoses and see if the problem goes away. If you still have it, then look at the brake pistons on the front calipers. The one on the left could be frozen and not applying the brake pads as much as it needs to.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 09:43 PM   #3
TrainD5115
North Coast, baby!

If you have "play" in your steering you might want to check out your steering components. A sloppy center drag link can cause this.
3.73's
Still running full CA smog gear!
TrainD5115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 06:14 AM   #4
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

How can you determine if the center link is bad really? I have the same problem, I have a bad idler arm and it seems to pull to the right when braking. I have a full rebuild kit for the front end parts and all the front brake system from the proportion valve out. I still have to get all the stuff installed. I was kind of needing a friends help (experience) and some tools to do the job. But he has been ill and not been able to do very much. I need the idler arm installed but bought the rest do to mileage and more than likely they are all factory parts still.

I would also check the rear brakes, uneven wear - wheel cylinders and things like that.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:42 PM   #5
chrismoore701

not sure about power steering but on my dads vette without power there is a screw on the side of the steering box that you can use to tighten the steering, also there is a rubber washer in the steering shaft, like a shock obsorber that was wore out. check these things if possible, like I said these were on items with out power steering, hope this helps

Chris
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote