The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2005, 10:03 PM   #1
Russell
Professional Grade

Frame Coating materials

How much do you guys figure I'd need to coat my frame? Gallon? Two gallons?
Old 01-14-2005, 11:39 PM   #2
AspecialZ
Street Rod Restoration

frame coating

It depends on who you go with, If you go with a thick setup your gun will clog often, and something runny will never set up right, I'd go for DuPont's frame coat, ask someone at an autobody supply store or something, my father turned me on to this stuff, it sets up 95% smooth and dosen't run or blotch, plus it has an impact resistant finishe which you can paint over, very nice, you should only need a gallon, and have 1/2 left over, but that's on a 1/2 chevy swb. good luck (hint...if you want it cheap, hit up a spring swap meet)
Old 01-15-2005, 09:32 PM   #3
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Ever try using POR 15?
Checkout the results on my a-arms.
http://home.mindspring.com/~badbow/id0.html
gchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:03 PM   #4
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

POR15 is a hard surface sealer. Read about it here http://www.por15.com/
You can put it directly over rust!! Just remove all the loose dirt and rust. It's a liquid you can brush on or spray on. Once it hardeness it looks like it is powerder coated. A lot of restores use it on frames and other surfaces. I will be using on the rear axel, frame, bed underside and anything I can put it on. Just don't get it on your skin. It's nonremovable. You will wear it until your skin sheds.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:23 PM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

lol, I'm gonna be using a much cheaper method Buying 5 gallons of a aluminum deck coating for 75 bucks, splitting the cost with a buddy. I'm simply trying it out, to see how it lasts, if it doesn't work, I'll blast the frame again and put some Zero Rust on
Old 01-16-2005, 09:27 PM   #6
smokinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchemist
POR15 is a hard surface sealer. Read about it here http://www.por15.com/
You can put it directly over rust!! Just remove all the loose dirt and rust. It's a liquid you can brush on or spray on. Once it hardeness it looks like it is powerder coated.

Could you share what method and products you used? Im thinking of doing the same thing and also the frame. Theres so many different products and applications im unsure where to begin.

Jason
smokinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:23 PM   #7
crackajacka
Stylin

yea im also interested in doing that this summer and maybe using there engine paint kit. i also want to use the bed liner stuff on my fender wells might give it a more rugged look.
crackajacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:12 AM   #8
1969 GMC

I know Eastwood makes a product similar to por-15, has anyone had any experience with it?
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:52 AM   #9
longhorn71

A friend of mine has a coating and sand blasting shop.Has a special coating for the oilfeild that is tough.We used my dodge as a test for it as box liner.It stands up well and washes clean.It does not still look dirty after it is washed like boxliner coatings.It is expensive but well worth the money if you plan on keep in your truck.With any of these coatings on a frame you need to inspect for cracks as it will hide them under the coating
longhorn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:04 AM   #10
Russell
Professional Grade

Dean, I'll keep that in mind if this doesn't work for me. I was going to use a product called Zero Rust (very similar to POR-15 and Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator, but much cheaper, and apparantly it lasts better than POR-15)

My father works in the oil patch, and knows of companies that do this kind of stuff, I may have to look into it
Old 01-17-2005, 05:35 PM   #11
KShortell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969 GMC
I know Eastwood makes a product similar to por-15, has anyone had any experience with it?
I've used it over the years with good success in the aerosol form, but with mixed results in pint form. Maybe it was a surface prep issue, but I had lifting on a Ford Taurus I used it on once. It's called "Rust Encapsulator" now, but I used it when it was called "Corroless".

I'm actually leaning towards POR-15 for my front suspension and the frame from the rear axle back. Like you, I want to be able to do it once and be done with it...
Old 01-18-2005, 03:08 AM   #12
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Jason, I used an original POR-15 can. I sandblasted the parts then coated them with the POR-15. They came out better than I expected. I should have hung the parts to coat them or used an inexpensive spray gun. The POR-15 will run off if too much is applied. So as with paint, you can have drips if you are not careful. The coating feels almost like a rubber coat when it dries. They should hold up to some abuse. You would have to hammer the coating pretty hard to get to crack or peel. Once I start to rebuild the front on my truck I'll know how well it will hold up. Ask in the general topic area on how many people have used POR-15. You'll get several replies. The company also sells a simple starter or trial kit. It's not too expensive and worth checking if you are interested in using the product.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:51 AM   #13
benscool1

I just used 2 quarts of red primer and then about a gallon of satin black rustoleum paint. Looks good and has sat outside since last january w/nothing covering it for most of the time and it hasn't rusted at all. A gallon of whatever you get should be plenty.
benscool1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:18 PM   #14
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

I used POR15 on my frame and almost ever other piece. I used less than a can for the frame. It was sprayed with a gun. Since it is UV sensative I painted over the frame with Gloss Black.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:21 PM   #15
jberkeley
86 chevy k-10

i refinished a cj frame.with por-15, i use it on everything that is metal..stuff works, preperation is the key. on the cj frame i used the black first coat, then red hardnose..looks like powder coating..good luck.
jberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote