The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2005, 07:50 PM   #1
woody96

Question Edelbrock Carburetor questions...HELP!

Well, to start with, I am far from being a carburetor expert.....I rececently bought my 1984 c10------mildly modded 305....cam, edelbrock 1406 carb and manifold....headers, duels.....when cold, it cranked right up!...would press the gas about halfway, let go, and crank it---choke kicked in....(electric choke---non emissions carb).....

......now, that was a few weeks ago...nights now are only getting to low 40's, maybe upper 30's......I go to start, and it is like the electric choke is not kicking in for some reason.....

Should I start it cold giving it some gas? Start it cold with no gas? ( a few weeks ago, when very cold, I would press the gas pedal about halfway, and release, and then start and I could tell the electric choke was kicking in)....now, I can give it gas, and release, no gas...whatever----doesn't matter, it is as if the electric choke is not working ...........it seems to work best now with starting with my pressing the gas pedal about 1/4 way and holding.......just doesn't seem right.....any ideas anyone?
Old 03-06-2005, 08:19 PM   #2
76bonanza

I always depress my pedal all the way to the floor and back up before truning the key then just about half and fire the key. the choke may need adjusting also.
76bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:29 AM   #3
woody96

Question Need some more help with this Edelbrock carb!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76bonanza
I always depress my pedal all the way to the floor and back up before truning the key then just about half and fire the key. the choke may need adjusting also.
Well, I tried that and the truck flooded.....took a while to get it cranked after that.....any other thoughts out there??? With this electric choke and such, I don't know whether to give no gas when cold, part throttle, all throttle and let go and then try and crank....or what.......it was cranking beautifully a few weeks ago on the cold...now, it is as if the electric chole is not working---but I have changed nothing........BUT, it is a bit milder....adjust my way of giving it gas when cranking since the weather has improved some??? HELP???
Old 03-07-2005, 10:43 AM   #4
TrainD5115
North Coast, baby!

Are you sure the choke is not kicking in? Could it be moisture getting in your distributor? Have you checked to see if there is a blown fuse for the electric choke? I don't have an electric choke so I don't know if they even have a fuse, but it might be a power problem. From what I know about electric choke, it is tied in to the oil pressure. Are you getting any warning light on the dash?
3.73's
Still running full CA smog gear!
TrainD5115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:49 AM   #5
86-C10-V6
Shadetree Mechanic

Electric Choke Should be adjustable

All the electric chokes I have worked on can be adjusted by rotating the cover.
There should be 3 screws holding the cover of to the choke, where the electrical connection is made.
Loosen the screws and rotate clock wise( I think) to give it more choke.
Pushing the accellerator and releasing before cranking allows the choke to rotate the fast idle cam and the fast idle cam is what holds open the throttle.
Make sure this area of the Carb is clean, clean it with some carb cleaner and make sure it operates freely.
Hope this helps.
98 K1500 Xcab, 5.7L, 3.43 Gov-Lok
86-C10-V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:41 AM   #6
woody96

Question

THX for the comments all.....the carb is spotless, and I am sure the choke does work (at some point anyway), when I do get it started cold, it carries the engine ilde up to about 1500 until warm....it just dosn't seem to be kicking in at first crank, cold.......I will check out the choke cylinder and see about dialing it forward some....I have a manual for this 1406, but man, is it hard to understand....!!! Once warm, it works GREAT, like a scalded dog!! Again, it was working good a few weeks ago....and I have done nothing to the engine......but, the weather is warmer if that matters......there is no electrical issues and there is good oil pressure......I have a see thru gas filter---it is pretty yellow-----maybe need changing and could that be the problem......??

Any other thoughts out there??? Anyone really familier with these Edelbrock performare series carbs...especially the 1406 -w- electric choke and non-emission.....
Old 03-07-2005, 08:44 PM   #7
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

I have a 1406 on my truck. If the weather is getting warmer and the choke is working properly, then the timing is either too advanced or retarted. I change my choke setting and possibly timing with my carb. Yes it takes longer to start it when it's warm. Cold start is never a problem. Even in warm weather I tap the pedal just slightly unless the engine is really hot. Remember fuel will evaporate through the carb when the motor is turned off. It needs a few cranks to get fuel back into the intake then into the cylinders.
gchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 08:56 PM   #8
woody96

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchemist
I have a 1406 on my truck. If the weather is getting warmer and the choke is working properly, then the timing is either too advanced or retarted. I change my choke setting and possibly timing with my carb. Yes it takes longer to start it when it's warm. Cold start is never a problem. Even in warm weather I tap the pedal just slightly unless the engine is really hot. Remember fuel will evaporate through the carb when the motor is turned off. It needs a few cranks to get fuel back into the intake then into the cylinders.
THX.....you got any thoughts as to how to adjust the choke..(the choke cap or choke setting........the thing that can rotate CW or CCW if you loosen the three screws...) I think you are supposed to adjust it with the engine warm, adjust lean, then rotate CW until the choke plate starts to move slightly, then rotate CCW a notch to set......this sound familier....wasn't working for me.....
Old 03-08-2005, 05:13 PM   #9
woody96

Exclamation Got it fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchemist
Well, thanks all for the good scoop....it is fixed now----not quite sure what I did, but took apart the choke cap, and checked out the spring inside to see if it was fried...(did check voltage to the choke---it was thankfully not getting constant power, only when the key is on).....the spring seemed to be backwards I think...I re-set it right where it keys into the linkage properly and moves the linkage properly based upon temp adjustments (as it gets cold, the spring shrinks and closes the choke plate---gets warm, expands and releases the choke plate)....tried it this morning...(checked it with the cleaner off and the choke plate was partially closed), taped the gas, FIRED RIGHT UP with the choke engaging and the throttle adjusting appropriately.....

WooHooooo!! THX all again....great support here!!
Old 03-08-2005, 08:52 PM   #10
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Chokes should only be adjusted when they are cold. Good job.