The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2002, 01:28 AM   #1
chevy55

1405 Edelbrock Questions

What kind of vacuum should I be running at idle on the timed vacuum port and the manifold vacuum port?
Old 07-21-2002, 01:43 AM   #2
bigjimzlll

that depends on a lot of things..mainly your cam profile and timing..alot of other things will effect vacuum...head gasket...valves...the 1405 is ste up from the factory a little rich, richer than the 1406..my small block has a bout 12 inches of vacuum at idle..if your having problem with hesitation or bogging the problem probably lies in the springs...if you go to www.edelbrock.com it may help...also they have a help line thats real good

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 01:56 AM   #3
chevy55

Is it normal for both ports to read close to the same amount of vacuum? Timed port reads 6in and the manifold reads 8in.
Old 07-21-2002, 02:00 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

At an idle, your timed vac should be about 0
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 02:13 AM   #5
chevy55

Both ports act like manifold vacuum. Tried timing it, disconnected the vacuum advance and plugged and set the timing but when I connected the timing advanced. Could it have been crap from the fuel tank getting inside the carb or caused by the many intake backfires I have had? I don't know what to do. I might pull off the carb and check it out and if nothings wrong I will check out edelbrock's web site.
Old 07-21-2002, 02:42 AM   #6
mikep
Used to have a truck

how about a little more background on the motor and build. Did this backfiring thing just start ? what sort of cam? New build or is it a new problem with an old motor?

Whats up?
Old 07-21-2002, 01:21 PM   #7
chevy55

It has just been rebuilt, it has a 216 degree duration. The intake backfires were caused by me not having the timing advanced enough
Old 07-21-2002, 01:40 PM   #8
mikep
Used to have a truck

216 isnt much for duration and you should have more like 16-18 inches of vacuum at idle if not more. Are you sure you are using the right balancer/timing mark combination? I know two guys who arent and they swore they were until we figured out the problem. How much initial advance are you running? How much total? How far out are your mixture screws? Dont be afraid to go into a LOT of detail about your engine build, timing procedures, cam setup etc.
Old 07-21-2002, 05:46 PM   #9
chevy55

I am using the same balancer. From my experience the timing sounds like it is almost right on. It starts right up without a problem. With the distrubutor advance line plugged I had set it at 14 degrees advanced. When I plugged in the advance it jumped up to about 17 or 18 even at idle on both the timed and manifold vacuum ports. The mixture screws were turned five turns, it does diesel when I shut it off. However when we lean the idle mixture screws it will either intake backfire or it won't start. We put my carburetor on my brothers truck and it worked fine so I know it is not that. I think that there is a vacuum leak on the intake manifold. I might try and change the gaskets since it is easy to get to and I have enough time. Even with the carburetor as rich as it is if I give it full throttle from idle it will intake backfire.
Old 07-21-2002, 06:47 PM   #10
mikep
Used to have a truck

Are you using an EGR valve? Sounds like you have a horrendous vacuum leak somewhere. What manifold are you using. Might want to check the manifold for cracks. That still wouldnt explain the timed to port vacuum thing though. That just shouldnt happen although with your really low idle vacuum something is wacky. I'd yank that manifold off and inspect it carefully even under the heat shield if its OEM.
Old 07-21-2002, 07:08 PM   #11
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

It sounds to me like the primarys are open a little at idle...can't explain why, but that's what it sounds like.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 07:13 PM   #12
bigjimzlll

andy might be on to some thing...disconect your throttle cable and see what happens...i think you have a vacuum leak also...my mixture screws are about 2 1/2 turns out....are you running a spacer?

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 01:21 AM   #13
chevy55

When we put the carburetor on my brothers truck he had the screws about 2 turn out. I went ahead and changed the manifold gaskets, it is a new weiand excelerator without a spacer, threw the carb back on it with the same settings at about 2 turns out and it fired up. Now I have good throttle response considering the fact that it the timing I am sure is off and the rocker arms aren't adjusted right, that is a job for tomorrow. Changing the manifold gaskets did the trick. Thanks to all for the help. What a relief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!