The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2005, 11:52 PM   #1
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

SK tools can be a good buy for the money. I used to be able to buy them locally for jobber price, but the business sold and I can't get the discount from the new owner. E-bay and www.thetoolwarehouse.net usually have good prices. Far superior to craftsman, which have lost a lot of quality in the last 30 years. Not as high of quality as Snap-On, but nowhere near the price. I've been slowly replacing all of my craftsman with SK, just do some bargain shopping. Their torque wrenches are great, comparable to Proto.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 03:09 AM   #2
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred T
SK tools can be a good buy for the money.... Their torque wrenches are great,...
Thanks for the good advise, I'm looking for a good (and cheap) torque wrench. I don't want to spend $300+, and end up with some thing that needs calibration every year.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:23 AM   #3
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtlilly
Thanks for the good advise, I'm looking for a good (and cheap) torque wrench. I don't want to spend $300+, and end up with some thing that needs calibration every year.

Don,

There's a way to calibrate at home.. An Old man ( yea, Older than Me
) Taught me lots of years ago, And danged ifin I didn't forget !!!

Anyone here remember it??
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 11:25 AM   #4
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtlilly
DON... I'M NOT SURE HOW MUCH YOUR PLANNING ON SPENDING, BUT I CAN USUALLY PICK UP SWIVEL HEAD(EITHER 3/8" OR 1/2") SNAP-ON TORQUE WRENCHES FOR WELL UNDER $100 & MAC TOOLS TORQUE WRENCHES FOR UNDER $60, USED AT LOCAL PAWN SHOPS. I HAVE A 3/8" 100 LB & A 1/2" DR. 250 LB SWIVEL HEAD SNAP-ON TORQUE WRENCHES & OFTEN COMPARE THE READINGS ON BOTH TO EACH OTHER. CHEAP TORQUE WRENCHES REQUIRE CALIBRATIONS AT LEAST AS MUCH AS GOOD ONES. HARBOUR FREIGHT HAS THEM FOR $13 OR $14, SO I GUESS IT'S JUST A MATTER OF PERSONAL PREFERANCE. LET ME KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO FIND YOU ONE. JOHN

I HAD A CHINEEZE UNCLE THAT ALWAYS USED TO SAY....
GOOD NO CHEAP.....CHEAP NO GOOD
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 01:09 PM   #5
dtlilly
Account Suspended

John, I've seen them used at a pawn shop too, but your taking a chance the wrench was used as a breaker bar. Sears has them at a decent price too. I'd like to know about that "at-home" calibration trick if anyone knows.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote