The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2005, 08:42 AM   #1
Andre

Please Help - Looking for info.

Hello All,

I'm relatively new to the board and relatively new to the 67-72 Chevy "cult"

I recently purchased a '72 1/2 ton. Long box, 350, Auto, Custom trim. I would like to get the truck on the road May 1st but there's a bunch of information I need. From surfing the board it seems there are a lot of knowledgable people who may be able to help me out. I've made a list of questions I have, if anybody can gimme a hand I would much appreciate it.

- I intend to lower the truck, it is equipped with coils in all four corners and has what i'm assuming is "light" duty suspension (5-bolt wheels, small front discs, etc...). A 3/4 drop is probably best suited, who is the best company to go with (i'm on a budget), should bags even be a consideration? I would like an air-bag setup however I doubt it's cheap...

- Allthough not a priority I will need bedsides. Is there a reccomended company which sells sheet metal for my application? Would new repro bedsides be better of should I try to find a solid set of originals? I do live in a place with salted roads so solid originals would be next to impossible to find around here.

- I need rearview mirrors. The truck currently has small "sport" style mirrors on it, I doubt if they're original. Were small mirrors available then? If so does anybody know where I can get some? Or even know the GM part number on originals?

- My tailgate is in dyer need of replacement, for some reason it's rotten 10x the rest of the truck, same question as bedsides, repro or original? Dos anybody know any distributors?

- The gauge cluster is the original with single speedo and gas gauge, that is it. I somehow need to incorporate a tach, temp, oil press. and volt gauge into the truck. Does anyone know of neat, clean setups for these gauges? Do any A/M companies make a replacement gauge cluster with these built in?

- I need an inner grill. I'd much prfer to stick with the OEM style, does anyone know of companies which produce A/M OEM style ones? I priced a NOS one at the local Chevy dealer, suprisingly it was reasonable priced. I'm not aiming for originality however so is there a cheaper alternative out there?

- Are there any companies with quality, well priced products that are known "regulars" at the Carlisle Penn. shows? Does anybody have any of these parts that is going to be there this spring?

That's all I can think of at this point, if anything else comes up i'll post it. As above if anybody can help or has some of these parts please let me know. The spring crunch is coming up with school and work so time is at a premium.

I want to start cruisin in my new toy....

Many Thanks,
Andre
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:40 AM   #2
ChevyDude

1st Welcome to the board! Air bags and "I'm on a budget" don't work in the same sentence together. ECE is a great company for lowering components, very customer friendly! I do not believe NEW long bedsides are being produced. GMC Paul's is a great vendor whom supports the board, they sell practicly everything thing you can need or want for your truck and can answer many of your questions over the phone or email, ask for Les he'll take care of you.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

1971 Lil' Red 350 SBC 700R4
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:54 AM   #3
Putter
More Cowbell....

To address the gauges you want to add, one handy source is the parts board. Pretty often, members will offer refurbished gauge clusters for a price that will be cheaper than e-bay, or retailers, etc... and the quality is very high on most of these. You will even find the ones that have the factory tach as well.
Just a point to remember...DO NOT remove your "idiot light" cluster and install the "gauge" cluster in it's place without relocating a few wires. I believe there is a "HOW TO" for this on the FAQ page. If you plug the harness of your "idiot light" cluster into a new gauge cluster, it will smoke that thing. The pin-out placement is different between the two. Not a difficult task to move the wires, but it has to be done if you aren't replacing the wiring harness.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:10 AM   #4
jtminton
II Timothy 4:2

Can you post a picture of the mirrors you do have? If they are the stock sport mirrors, I would be interested in taking them off your hands when you get new ones!

MY TRUE PRIDE AND JOY

"Dangit, Bobby, people will see that oil stain and think I'm a drunk."
jtminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:55 PM   #5
Andre

Well, the mirrors on it are broken. That's is why I want new ones. I am looking for the sport ones as well.
I think I may end up getting the small round late 60's early 70's GM passenger car mirrors...

Thanks,
Andre
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 04:32 PM   #6
busterwivell

Andre, I think you can use "airbags" and "I'm on a budget" in the same sentence, as long as that sentence goes something like " I'm on a budget, so I can't afford airbags".

Welcome to the board, by the way. I don't kow why the new people to the board don't have locations posted, where you at anyway?

You will find the venders on the board are great people, very knowledgeable, with fair prices. In addition to Les, check with Rick's Trucks in Phoenix, or Wes, to name a few. I'm sure they all carry the mirrors.

Bedsides for longbeds aren't being reproduced......yet. At least, I've not seen them. Good used beds are available, and that may be the way to go when you are ready, but could involve a road trip for you.

Tailgates are plentiful reproduced. Some are junk. You don't want one that folds the first time you sit on it. There are quality reproductions out there. Most originals are bowed from years of service. If you find one taken off when the truck was new, you'll have that "I'm on a budget" problem again.

You've seen the advice on guage clusters, it's good advice. Folow it.

I didn't even know that NOS inner grills were still available from the dealer. Reasonably priced? Hard to believe. I have a reproduction one on my 71 and it's fine. Most vendors, if not all, carry them.

Good luck, and, again, welcome to the board. You'll love it here, it's a sickness......
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:01 PM   #7
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtminton
Can you post a picture of the mirrors you do have? If they are the stock sport mirrors, I would be interested in taking them off your hands when you get new ones!
Are these the ones you're looking for?

http://www.shifty.org/pics/68chevy/i...0_SB%20005.jpg

If they are, let me know. I'm willing to part with mine. If you have a pair to trade, I like the small rectangular ones a lot. I'll work out a deal (I think these round ones are worthless)

Andre - welcome to the board. Check out this page:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/index.html

Look in the left-hand column for "parts suppliers". Those are all the guys who post here at the forum. They all run reputable businesses and are GREAT resources for buying parts.

Good luck! We'd love to see pictures of your truck.

Also - there is a "FAQ" forum. It is full of TONS of information about things you have mentioned you want to do. Hell, a lot of the threads even have pictures that show you how to do it.

The forum has a great search feature that will help you locate most of the info you want. Search first...if you don't find it, post a new thread.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 04-05-2005 at 10:04 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote