The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2005, 10:22 AM   #26
gangforward
Hootis is as Hootis does...

Fronts - 17x8 - 4.5" BS
Rears - 17x9.5 - 5" BS
gangforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 10:24 AM   #27
Putter
More Cowbell....

Okay....I talked directly to American Racing and here is the bad news...
The wheels we are looking at are "HUB-Centric". Then center bore of the wheel measures 3.27. The truck hub is larger....somewhere in the range of 4.25. The rep told me that although NOT recommended, a lot of people have the wheels machined just enough to fit....and it is happening everyday. The only other suggestion he had was to run the thinnest spacer you can find to do the trick....or pick different wheels.
With that said, I am more than a little curious to see what they did for that magazine truck to make it happen.!?!

Last edited by Putter; 04-28-2005 at 10:25 AM.
Putter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 10:36 AM   #28
Putter
More Cowbell....

I think I have it.....I tried to call the supplier (McGaughy's) that is listed in the article, but they are not open yet (different timezone), but I think I have the answer. They did a disc-brake conversion on that truck. I will be willing to bet that the new rotors have a smaller hub size.....thus allowing the wheels to fit. I will verify that as soon as they open.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:57 AM   #29
gangforward

I called Macgaughy's (sp?) yesterday, they were not much help ie - we shold them the parts...

So I called American Racing - they told me wheels won't fit.... Asked them to verify and tell me why, gave them link to article, etc. They are supposed to get back to me.

Then called Classic Trucks editor - have left a couple of messages on his phone mail wanting clarification and BACK SPACING - (mine are my best guesses at this point). Still waiting there too.

Nice to know the center hub size - guess Macgaughy's could tell us what the center hub size is on their hubs.

I have access to a cnc (:~)! so I can mill a little on the wheel, but I wouldn't want to do too much.

thanks for your help!
Old 04-28-2005, 12:00 PM   #30
Putter
More Cowbell....

Well, I called the "secretary" over at McGaughy's and not only did she not know the hub measurement, she basically told me that she was not willing to even spin around in her chair and ask anyone else. (I hate it when you interrupt someone's coffee break by asking them to do their JOB)

Anyway...I then called Early Classic, and talked to a young man. I asked the exact same question to him. He then asked me if I was trying to install hub-centric wheels. I replied "Yes, that is exactly what I am attempting to do". He asked me to hold on while he checked. He came back on the line and told me he was sorry for the hold, but he had to look for his dial-caliper. HE WAS ACTUALLY MEASURING IT FOR ME. That is customer service.
Anyway, it measures 3.10 or 3.15....he was not sure because his caliper was not deep enough. Anyway, long story short....it is small enough to fit inside the wheels we want....thus explaining how they did it in the magazine.

Last edited by Putter; 04-28-2005 at 12:01 PM.
Putter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 02:11 PM   #31
gangforward

Great News! I'd talked to my machinist friend, and he's ready to mill out a little more if we need it, but it sounds like it will be OK.

Your comment about Mcgaughy's was EXACTLY the same reaction I had when I called yesterday. So forum members - Cavet Emptor! I'll be getting my stuff from EC.

Just got off the phone with American Racing - they'd convinced themselves that it had to be a modified wheel, but when I confronted them with the numbers you'd gotten from EC they finally admitted that was conjecture, and they had not been able to reach anyone for sure. He did verify the hub number's we already have.

The editor of Classic Trucks is Rob - his number (direct) is 714-939-2596. I'll try him again, but I'm going to be traveling the next two days to NYC, going to Englishtown NJ for a drag race.

Hopefully we can get the word from him, and finalize backspacing.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 04-28-2005, 02:20 PM   #32
gangforward

Called Rob - (Classic Trucks Mag) and got his phone mail again....

Left another message.