The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2005, 07:52 PM   #1
fishmunger

Anyone use DJM lowered control arms?

i have 64 short fleet with a 77 front clip and dropped spindles and was thinking of djm's lowered lower control arms for 3" more drop. anyone have any experience with them? pros/cons? thanks
fishmunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:52 AM   #2
81shortwide

Hey fish, I had a set on my '81, they were on the truck when I bought it. I was told you couldn't add to them (spindles, or springs) due to the repositioned spring "platform". So I always looked for a reason to afford to change them. Three weeks ago one of the control arms snapped as I backed out of my driveway. I had it pulled back together and rewelded, but then weighed the cost of new bushings and balljoints vs. the cost of going as low as I wanted to 1 time. So, I spent the extra money and got spindles and springs. Thats my lowered control arm story, for what it's worth.
81shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:16 AM   #3
454HO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81shortwide
Three weeks ago one of the control arms snapped as I backed out of my driveway.
Snapped?? Did you happen to take a picture of it? I have a set of DJM arms I was intending to install on my '77. This does not give me a good feeling about them.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:11 PM   #4
Peregrine

there are a lot of stories of tubular arms snapping from many different companies

Let the world change you and you will change the world.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:59 PM   #5
81shortwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454HO
Snapped?? Did you happen to take a picture of it?
No, I never think about pictures until after I've done something. Then I think HEY- I should have taken some photos. Anyway, the rear tube from the balljoint to the cross shaft broke right where it welds at the cross shaft tube.

But, actually I considered using them after I had it rewelded, but, they would not let me go as low as I wanted. (Just installed 2 1/2" dropped spindles and 3" drop coils) I should also mention that the control arms were on the truck for 12 problem free years.

This in no way should be taken as an opinion or a review, but as one persons experience.
81shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 09:45 PM   #6
Ratpowerd67

i had them on my 02 gmc, the drivers broke a weld, 3 monts later the lower ball joint came out. the spring pocket broke thru on the other? i eventualy sold the truck...........rat
Ratpowerd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:51 AM   #7
fishmunger

hmm maybe i should stick with springs then lol. one more question, the previous owner is the one who lowered it 2.5" in the front with spindles and 5" in the back with 3" coils and 2" blocks. I was wondering how I could till if the front had lowered springs? I thought maybe he cut them a little? I doubt it but I'd like to know. The top of the rubber bumpstop on the lower control arm is about 1.75" from the upper. Does this seem right. I'd like to figure it out without taking it apart. thanks for the help
fishmunger is offline   Reply With Quote