The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2005, 06:29 PM   #1
SCOTI

Alignment pros/heros wanted!

First the backround info: My 74 has been dropped in front w/3" BT spindles & 1 coil removed from the factory V8 springs & a flip kit w/drop shackles out back.

When I dropped it almost 3yrs ago, I replaced all the ball joints, all a-arm bushings, inner/outer tie-rod ends & sleeves, & installed a new idler & pitman arm.

It aligned w/o much drama other than my pet peeve of the steering wheel not being 100% perfectly centered. Well, fast forward to the present w/less than 15K miles & both front tires show excessive inside/outside edge treadwear vs. the center tread & the truck pulls to the left like a SOB. The tires were 255/45/18's on 18x8" wheels & I typically ran 32-35psi of air.

This weekend, I got some new 245/45/18's (I felt the new size was a better fit for the 8" wheels) & my intention is to get the alignment checked ASAP.

Suprisingly, after the new tires were installed the truck doesn't pull @ all; just like after the rebuild.

So WTF gives here? I figured maybe the toe was out of adjustment but since it has excessive wear on both inside & outside I'm not sure.

What could it be? Professional opinions appreciated.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 05-15-2005 at 06:30 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 06:59 PM   #2
neonlarry

Sounds more like a tire pressure problem to me. What were the specs after your origional alignment (camber, toe & caster)
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 07:13 PM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonlarry
Sounds more like a tire pressure problem to me. What were the specs after your origional alignment (camber, toe & caster)
I'll have to see if I can dig up the invoice. IIRC, '0' camber & a slight toe in. I wondered about the air psi myself. I've got the new ones @ 40psi & the maximum manufacturers recommendation is 44psi.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 05-17-2005, 09:21 AM   #4
boilrman
70 Chevy 3/4t

yep sounds like an UNDER inflation problem to me.
Kokomo,IN
boilrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 09:55 AM   #5
454HO

The 255 tires may have been a little too wide for those 8" rims. The new 245's should be a better fit.

Usually it is caster that causes it to pull to one side. Could also be camber, but with the wear pattern you describe, that does not seem likely.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:23 AM   #6
SCOTI

I went yesterday & had the alignment re-checked @ the same shop that originally did it.

The numbers were within spec & actually still extremely close to the original alignment numbers from 2yrs ago which suprised the guy.

He went ahead & adjusted the toe to correct the crooked steering wheel but left everything else as is. I'm going to drive it for a month & see how it goes.

454HO, yes the 245's are a better fit for the 8" wheel which is why I switched to the new size. I was keeping tire pressure @ or above 35psi but I'll stick w/the recommended 44psi & see if that works better.

Thanks for everyones input. I value other peoples experiences & input.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 05-17-2005, 11:22 AM   #7
greasemonkey

I work at a tire shop, and we see this occasionally. Sometimes it is inflation problems, or one of your tires might have what is called a "radial pull", which causes one of the tires to drag, pulling the vehicle one way or the other. If you swap the tires side to side, it pulls the opposite way.
It is considered a manufacturer's defect, and usually causes uneven wearing due to the fact that both front tires are constantly under stress from the truck trying to drive sideways.
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 07:58 PM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonkey
I work at a tire shop, and we see this occasionally. Sometimes it is inflation problems, or one of your tires might have what is called a "radial pull", which causes one of the tires to drag, pulling the vehicle one way or the other. If you swap the tires side to side, it pulls the opposite way.
It is considered a manufacturer's defect, and usually causes uneven wearing due to the fact that both front tires are constantly under stress from the truck trying to drive sideways.
Well, the drivers side tire was very near separating in one section so there was definitely something going wrong.

Judging from the wear patterns, I don't feel the excessive wear caused the separation issue as the rest of the tire was ok & the separation was isolated to the 'bubble-ed' area of the tread.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG