The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2005, 04:20 AM   #1
Nate003

Pictures of a 68 power steering setup

I have a 68 Chevy c-10 2-wd that has really sloppy steering, I’m in the process of trying to fix it but have a few questions, but it would be a lot easier if I had pictures to show you what I’m talking about, so I was wondering if anyone had pictures of the power steering components that are off a 68. I’m not sure what years had the same setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Nate003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
Geezer

I didn’t have much trouble bolting up an 88 sub p/s box to my 67 that had manual steering.
http://www.gvtc.com/~rlaa/truck/psbox1.jpg
http://www.gvtc.com/~rlaa/truck/psbox2.jpg
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 01:15 PM   #3
Nate003

well the problem I’m having so I think, I don't know how to adjust the power steering box to try to get play out, so I don't want to mess with it and screw something up, but where the idler arm comes off power steering pump and connects to this other component, when you turn the steering wheel, that component, which just has a threaded rod coming out of it, then the idler arm on it with a nut and cotter pin, moves side to side quite a bit before the wheels move, so I checked out an old 67 truck I have laying around, with the same power steering setup and it has just as much play in it. I want to get this steering nice and tight before I start driving my truck again, but I can't figure out what to do. I parked my truck for awhile after doing a 180 in the middle of the intersection in front of a cop, I gave it to much gas to turn and it was wet out, and with the sloppy steering, I couldn't control the spinning.
Nate003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 02:06 PM   #4
Geezer

Well, they have three adjustments. The nut with two holes in it on the column side, the over center adjust on top and another under the round cover on the end.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote