The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2005, 02:27 PM   #51
75silverstep
KEEP ON TRUCKIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
You might look at Volvo, and Lexus colors. They both have some very nice silver colors. The flake is very fine almost like a pearl, so it may not be what you are after.

The valve covers are trick. That brushed finish is going to go well with the silver. Are you going to brush finish everything else to match? That would really look killer with the silver...

BTW- What's the truck hiding behind yours in the shop? It looks like it has had a bit of custom work too...
ya 10.4 on colors....ive picked a couple of lexus colors ..man theres soo many....you are correct about the truck next to mine...its the owner of the paint shops...80s with hydraulics...he had it complete and a hater out there messed up his paint job...its was a rusty cooper color with grey interior...
Old 09-19-2005, 06:39 PM   #52
corn

I guess Im not totally following you on the front drop, but Im VERY interested in finding out. Do you have any pics or could someone elaborate on it a little more please?
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:03 PM   #53
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75silverstep
DONT KNOW WHAT ITS CALLED BUT BACK IN THE DAY INSTEAD OF PUTTING DPOPPED SPINDLES ON IT WE WOULD REPLACE THE STOCK BOLTS WITH LONGER ONES FOR THE UPPER CONTROL ARM...THEN SHIM IT OUT TILL ITS STRAIGHT....ILL HAVE TO FIND OUT HOW LONG THERE ARE ..WELL ASKED MY NEIGHBOR ALSO A OLD TRUCK GUY HE SAYS ITS A 1/2 X 4" GRADE 8 BOLT WITH HE SAID 13 OR 14 WASHERS THEN THE TIRE GUYS PUTS HORSHOE SHIMS TO STRAIGHTEN....DO IT THIS WAS BECAUSE THE DROP SPINDELS PUSH THE TIRE OUT TO FAR AND COULDNT PUT THE 10's ON IT IN THE DAY..HOPE THIS HELPS...
It's called afro engineering plane and simple!

I lowered my '85 Stepper this way back in '85 cuz droped spindels were not available yet!

I don't want you to think im bashing your truck but this is the worst way to lower any vehicle it's not safe by any means even though it's been that way for 20 years and you say you have had no problems.

When my truck was lowered this way i was wiping out LCA left & right if i went over a manhole cover that stuck up too much and the ride quality was for $h!t it wouldnt' hold an alignment for more than 3 mo's. my front tires were allways cupping it would bottom out hard on a medium size bump/pot hole it was just BAD!

As far as spindels not allowing you to run a 10" rim im not shure what you mean by this i have 3" bell tech droped spindels on my '87 stepper and im running a 15x10" wheel with BFG 265-50-15 on 'em and i have on rubbing issues at all.

You will have a nice truck when it's finished and you have some bux tied up in it so why don't you just spend 3 or 400 bux on some quality spindels and do it right?

I shure would hate to see your finished ride get fuked up cuz you skimped on some lame lowering method instead of doing it right.

And today with all the way's to lower a truck the right way using quality kits i don't know why anyone would do it wrong or leave it like that theres just no reason too!

Click on my 87 stepper and look around and let me know what you think.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 10:10 PM   #54
75silverstep
KEEP ON TRUCKIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 STEPPER
It's called afro engineering plane and simple!

I lowered my '85 Stepper this way back in '85 cuz droped spindels were not available yet!

I don't want you to think im bashing your truck but this is the worst way to lower any vehicle it's not safe by any means even though it's been that way for 20 years and you say you have had no problems.

When my truck was lowered this way i was wiping out LCA left & right if i went over a manhole cover that stuck up too much and the ride quality was for $h!t it wouldnt' hold an alignment for more than 3 mo's. my front tires were allways cupping it would bottom out hard on a medium size bump/pot hole it was just BAD!

As far as spindels not allowing you to run a 10" rim im not shure what you mean by this i have 3" bell tech droped spindels on my '87 stepper and im running a 15x10" wheel with BFG 265-50-15 on 'em and i have on rubbing issues at all.

You will have a nice truck when it's finished and you have some bux tied up in it so why don't you just spend 3 or 400 bux on some quality spindels and do it right?

I shure would hate to see your finished ride get fuked up cuz you skimped on some lame lowering method instead of doing it right.

And today with all the way's to lower a truck the right way using quality kits i don't know why anyone would do it wrong or leave it like that theres just no reason too!

Click on my 87 stepper and look around and let me know what you think.
never said i was keeping it this way..they asked me how it was lowered i told them what it has......as for bashing i know your not....like i said earlier imight bag the front then i'll look into spindles....as for your 87 in the picture i dont think you could tuck those under the fender ya or na....this trucks not gona be a daily driver 'and ya i also banged up a few lcarms...thanks for info...
Old 09-19-2005, 10:43 PM   #55
75silverstep
KEEP ON TRUCKIN.

Quote:
You might look at Volvo, and Lexus colors. They both have some very nice silver colors. The flake is very fine almost like a pearl, so it may not be what you are after.

The valve covers are trick. That brushed finish is going to go well with the silver. Are you going to brush finish everything else to match? That would really look killer with the silver...

BTW- What's the truck hiding behind yours in the shop? It looks like it has had a bit of custom work too...
Heres some pics of the truck next to mine n2trux....

Last edited by 75silverstep; 11-21-2005 at 03:47 PM.
75silverstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 10:46 PM   #56
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75silverstep
Heres some pics of the truck next to mine n2trux....
Cool! Thanks for sharing. Got any of the body?
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 03:07 AM   #57
75silverstep
KEEP ON TRUCKIN.

Quote:
Cool! Thanks for sharing. Got any of the body?
ya i do..heres more..
Attached Images

Last edited by 75silverstep; 11-21-2005 at 03:47 PM.
75silverstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 06:13 PM   #58
static22

87 stepper,

You can buy lowered springs for any truck so are those no good either? My springs have been cut and i've not had any issues hitting the lower control arms; the tires look fine and the alignment seems to be fine as well. I'm like 75 sliverstep, I may not keep it that way but it has worked fine for nearly 20yrs and mine is not a daily driver either.

I am planning on putting spindles up front but that alone will not get me as low as I want. Cannot afford bags so will have to buy some lowered springs to get the look I'm after unless there is enough evidence to convince me that lowered / cut springs are not a good way to lower a truck.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:29 PM   #59
DroppedZ84
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by static22
I am planning on putting spindles up front but that alone will not get me as low as I want. Cannot afford bags so will have to buy some lowered springs to get the look I'm after unless there is enough evidence to convince me that lowered / cut springs are not a good way to lower a truck.
ACTUALLY. The bags aren't THAT much more than a lowered spring. The bags are $225, where the lowered springs are $100...you decide.. constant adjustability vs. non-adjustable.
SD Plates = $75
Stone 2600's = $150
DroppedZ84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:06 AM   #60
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by static22
87 stepper,

You can buy lowered springs for any truck so are those no good either? My springs have been cut and i've not had any issues hitting the lower control arms; the tires look fine and the alignment seems to be fine as well. I'm like 75 sliverstep, I may not keep it that way but it has worked fine for nearly 20yrs and mine is not a daily driver either.

Well i don't recall ever saying any thing negitive about using a drop/cut coil springs!

And to answer your question! No theres nothing wrong with using either one as a matter of fact i used dropped coil springs & spindles on my '99 Tahoe.

I think thats great that you have not had any problems running that set up but i did and i was just trying to let others know that way is just not a very safe or good way to lower anything.

Like i said my 85 was lowered this way and if i had not got into an accident with it i would have never kept it like that.

I would of put dropped spindles on it as soon as they were available.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 11:36 AM   #61
static22

Thanks for the additional info guys. I will look at the bags as well. I was lead to believe that a bagged front set up would be in the range of $500 to $800 depending on what manufacturer was used.

Anyone know what a complete front set up costs?
Old 09-22-2005, 02:52 AM   #62
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

To minimize costs, you could go with a minimal front air setup like DroppedZ84 is suggesting abiet unconventional (ie. schrader valves instead of electric valves, compressor and air tank).

SD Plates and Cups : $ 60
Firestones 224c (2600) : 2 @ $ 67.50
3/8" DOT Hose : $ 0.52 per foot
Schrader Valves and Fittings : Nickel and Dime
Chrome Hand Pump and Tire Gauge : Priceless

From there you could add electric valves, air compressor, tank and inboard gauges as funding allows.

(There's alot of info on the web on installing and plumbing the bags.)

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...

Last edited by boxrodz; 09-22-2005 at 11:49 AM.
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 11:32 PM   #63
Jenn

hey my sons and I are rebulding this 1980 sidestepper.. tommarow where replacing the motor,, to start.. be a slow but learning experience for all of us..
Attached Images

1994 chevy 6.5 td 2500. 250,k

good truck, cracked heads.. motor getting rebuilt, should be running by monday.. finger xrossed...........
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 01:16 AM   #64
static22

What kind of help do you need? Tips on rebuilding the motor and/or installing? Have you ever worked on the truck before: motor or general maintanence. You find plenty of help here!!
Old 09-27-2005, 04:42 PM   #65
Jenn

ty..:0)

1994 chevy 6.5 td 2500. 250,k

good truck, cracked heads.. motor getting rebuilt, should be running by monday.. finger xrossed...........
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote