The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2005, 01:47 PM   #1
shelby987

TBI and L6?

anyone ever done this? The truck I just bought is a 250, and I was toying with the idea of getting a 4bbl intake from clifford and mounting a tpi setup on it. I figured it would be a good starting place for future mods, exhaust, cam, etc, while still allowing me flexibility/driveability of not having a 4bbl sucking down all that gas on a non-modded 250.

Any thoughts? Possible, plausable, not worth my time?

Last edited by shelby987; 10-21-2005 at 07:22 AM.
shelby987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 03:36 PM   #2
FUNMUDDER
Account Suspended

Re: TPI and L6?

I would honestly try to find a 292. Are you sure the truck has a 250 in it??? I dont want to make you mad or anything, but if your going to add fuel injection and intakes and cams etc, you might as well get the best you can get. Not saying the 250 is a bad little engine, but a 292 with injection would really kick @ss, have a crapload of torque, and would be way different. But, it is your truck, I'm just throwing in my 2 cents worth. And Im REALLY starting to get JEALOUS of your truck, sounds like she's a keeper :wink:
FUNMUDDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 04:56 PM   #3
724wdcopper
graphic designer

also, not to pee in your cornflakes MORE, but a TBI (throttle body) setup would be the way to go. Tuned Port Injection would be SO MUCH more involved and difficult to get to work properly, especially since Cliffords has a TBI setup for L6 engines, or at least they did a few years ago when i was looking doing this...

but if you feel confident welding bungs onto the manifold, writing software injection code for probably a MegaSquirt type system, incorperating all the high pressure fuel lines, pump, sensors and what not, GO FOR IT! seriously, it would be cool....

maybe if you are really into it, check out adapting injection from the toyota supra L6 engines... they make some mondo HP with those...

Last edited by 724wdcopper; 10-20-2005 at 04:57 PM.
724wdcopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:05 AM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

You might check out www.inliners.org and search this subject there. It comes up occasionally. I run a 500 CFM Edelbrock on an Offy intake with Clifford headers on a 292 w/a .030 bore. That's as high tech as I want to get -- but then I got kicked out of the old school for being too rowdy. [JK]
The 250 stock will wind a lot higher than a stock 292. The 292 is a truck engine -- designed to produce a lot of low end torque at lower RPMs. You have to massage them with bigger cams, valves, cylinder bores and balanced rotating assemblies to get more RPMs out of them. I'm real happy with my latest 292 rebuild.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:21 AM   #5
shelby987

PEE away....I screwed up....I meant TBI, not TPI.....I am not looking to re-invent the wheel here, I would much rather swap out a carb for a FI setup that is more plug and play....I will go back and change the title of my original post......I think I just had a brain fart during my original post.

with respect to the 292 vs. 250 debate, I have found a couple of built engines for both, it will all come down to which I can get a better deal on....but will keep everyone posted, and if all goes well, I hope to be able to do a write up on it!
Old 10-21-2005, 11:46 AM   #6
Russell
Professional Grade

Too bad -- tuned port injection for a six woulda been real cool to see, lol

Just tough to make it work properly!
Old 10-21-2005, 04:34 PM   #7
70rs/ss

I read an article in Car Craft or Hotrod Magazine a couple of months ago (May or so) and it was on hoping up the in 6 and they listed some nuts combos, but reality hits, it is way cheaper to build a 350. I like the in 6 and I would encourage you to look into finding a vortec inliner from a wrecked trailblazer as they are fuel injected and hot roddish already. Let us know that all aluminum in 6 would be wicked!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:19 PM   #8
llegos

iu think the best upgrade right now would be to a 292 as previously mentioned, but if you can do all those mods, it would be a sick truck
Old 10-22-2005, 08:10 AM   #9
shelby987

as mentioned above, the engine I end up with will depend on the deal I can get.....the built 250 will swap with no modification (read no down time looking for motor mounts and bell housings) into the truck.....and it will be cheaper than buying the speed parts I need for my current engine........while a 292 would be nice, the only one I have found in decent shape has already been someones play toy.....I am not all that gung ho about buying an engine from someone who brags about smoking the 33's on their truck when it was installed......I would rather buy an engine from someone who has the common sense/knowledge about anything to tell me they didn't used to beat the crap out of the engine.......
plus, I like the dare to be different aspect......the reliable torque and hp of a built 250 would be something you don't see ever.......plus, the fun of dragging my friends and their v8's around the parking lot with my 'tiny' I6....PRICELESS!