The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2002, 06:34 PM   #1
stknrdr

Question Bowtie Overdrives TV made EZ

I am in the beginning stages of installing a 700r4/np208 combo into my 72 4x4.

In looking around I found a kit (bracketry, cable etc) to attach the TV cable from the tranny onto my edelbrock performer carb. Its sold by Bowtie Overdrives, called the TV made easy.

Im wondering if anyone has used this kit and if its worth the 100 bucks they want for it. I dont mind spending the cash if it will make the install easy and precise - (Frying my newly rebuilt high dollar 700r is not in my plans).

Question 2 - I have the crossmember from the original home of the 700r4/np208 its out of an 80something suburban. Im wondering how much modification must be done to this crossmember to get it to fit on my 72, havent really crawled under and looked yet. Is it a nice clean install (read minor mods) or would it be cleaner to buy one of the aftermarket crossmembers?

I know these question have probably been asked 150 times before and I did sift the archives awhile back........

77 Ford Bronco Rockcrawler

93 BMW 325IS Have-fun-on-the-way-to-work-car.
stknrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 06:38 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

While i have no info on the second question, I think you could do better than 100 bucks for a bracket. Any way you do it, i sugest going to a good tranny place (not 'joe-schmo's tranny shop' ) And have them set the cable. If they do it properly, they will use oil pressure guages to set it. This cable does alot more than just kick down into a passing gear, it will destroy your tranny in less than 20,000 miles if mis adjusted.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 06:52 PM   #3
stknrdr

Yeah, I have a real good tranny shop that I trust less than a mile away, my plan is to get it all done at home (including setting up the tv cable to service manual specs) and then taking it over to them for a final setup/inspection. They seem to think that it would be ok to drive it that far even if I misadjusted the TV cable (which I dont plan to do). At any rate, the kit includes a base plate to hold the tv cable and then some brackety to go onto the performer carb (with I assume the proper geometry and throw lengths, ect.) It also says that its adjustable for fine tuning. -shrug-

I called edelbrock and my tech dude (I say "dude" because thats what he sounded like) didnt know what the hell I was talking about ("just install a stud - dude") hehehe. Ok nevermind.

One thing I have learned over several restofications is that if the part works like its supposed to sometime it doesnt hurt to just lay out the cash (wiring harnesses come to mind) and get a clean setup that works. My Jerry riggng skills are formidible but this is a little different with a 1k+ tranny on the line

77 Ford Bronco Rockcrawler

93 BMW 325IS Have-fun-on-the-way-to-work-car.

Last edited by stknrdr; 08-30-2002 at 06:56 PM.
stknrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 07:15 PM   #4
Longhorn Man

Some very good points there...and you DO get what you paid for...
Old 08-30-2002, 07:54 PM   #5
Littles72

Talking IT WORKED GREAT FOR ME

I have that exact set-up when I bought my trans from bowtie-overdrives. I worked great and makes adjustments easy from stock shifting to snap your neck shifts( I liked it in the middle) If you can wait I took this whole system off and am putting a stock system with quadrajet on in 2 weeks. If the stock system works out I am going to sell the TV kit when Im done. No problems with the TV kit just changing to stock. It only has about 1500mi on it.
Littles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 10:57 PM   #6
nate68

i used the kit from Lokar, i think i bought it through summit or local speed shop. works great. i used their shift linkage too (except i modified it cuz it wasnt long enough or something) way better than stock linkage and you dont hafta worry about it binding up.
Old 09-02-2002, 12:16 AM   #7
billogna

I finished installing my 700r4 last week, and purchased the TV cable kit for my Edelbrock from BTO. The instructions were very detailed and the kit was simple to install, plus it's adjustable. I had to tone down my upshifts a bit after my wife's head slammed into the back window, she complains about everything. You already have a throttle cable, so your shift to throttle ratio should be better than mine, from what I've been reading. I also bought the cross member from them, though I've heard all you have to do is relocate the holes in the frame. I just wanted more clearance for my exhaust. Their crossmember bolts to the top of the frame only.
'84 Chev K20 350/4 spd
'91 GMC 1500 Suburban 4x4, 350/700R4
billogna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 11:19 AM   #8
Ron

Conversion

Just wondering...what side is your transfercase on? I'm putting a 4L-60/208 in my 72 Scout. I already have a GM 350 in it so it should be a easy conversion. I just put a 4L60 in a 69 2X2. I use a Q-Jet with a factory GM bracket and cable.

"Hooked on holiday beer"
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 04:54 PM   #9
stknrdr2

Sorry for the longtime in replying - I tried to change E-mail addresses on my account and it messed up, had to reregister, at any rate - thanks for all the good information.

Billogna -
Well I dont have the cable, as during the building of this truck I ended up with the pushrod type throttle linkage - (long story) - I have the cable components, ive just never bothered to install them in the cab, is this going to be a problem? Hey Layton is pretty close to Logan, I should come see your setup sometime

To Ron - I assume you want to know what side the front driveshaft is on? Passenger side, as it should be

72 LWB c/10 4wd-Hugger Orange - Frame Off Resto, 350, 4"lift, Auburn Limited Slips Both Axles- 4.56 gears- 35's - HEI - Edelbrock Performer Carb and Intake.

Recently Completed - 700r4/NP208 conversion and vortec heads.

Future Goals - Vortec Injection, lowering back to original height, and one ton running gear so's I can haul all my crap. Lifted truck look cool but they are useless for anything but 'wheeling
stknrdr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 05:52 PM   #10
LAP

Don't waste your money on that crap from BowTie. The bracket they ship you is the same bracket for a Turbo 350 kickdown.
I towed my truck to a tranny shop and that guy laughed at the junk they sent me. He went inside and came back with a adjustable cable and said he would use it. There also is a rumor about not being able to change out the cable with the pan on. He sure did. I did put a larger "ball bracket" on the carb, stuck the other end in the old trans bracket and hit the road. He stopped once, adjusted the cable, and I have been cruising for a long time now without any issues.

My 700r4 might go out tomorrow, but I think the rumors about their realibilty is nonsense. They first years might have been junk but like the tranny man said, "Dang, if they were as bad as you think, GM wouldn't have used them for 10 years!"

As for the crossmember, just slide the crossmeber back, square it up, and drill new holes.

2 cents
72 C10 Cheyenne
-----------------------
Slaughter, La
LAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 11:02 PM   #11
Longhorn Man

Quote:
Originally posted by LAP
"Dang, if they were as bad as you think, GM wouldn't have used them for 10 years!"
Explain to me the Chivette.
They made O/D trannies becouse they had to...not becouse they wanted to.
I would have another tranny guy check that adjustment, but with oil pressure guages. I've seen too many trannys replaced becouse some one hooked up like you tranny guy.
Old 09-05-2002, 12:37 AM   #12
breeh
Recovering 67-72 Addict

I used the BTO setup and am very happy with it. It gives you more adjustability then just throwing a cable on there. I followed their instructions closely. I used a pressure guage which BTO also supplied and the the trans has worked flawlessly. I even took the car out on a road course for a day for a performance driving school and it worked great. I put a 700 in my '67 Camaro and I like it so much that I am putting one just like it in my 4x4 Stepside.

"Friends call me cruzer cuz I like fast cars and fast women"
breeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 03:11 PM   #13
stknrdr2

I think the 700r4 reliablity problems are over and done with, I know they are in mine, because I had it rebuilt with all the good new stuff by a guy I trust...... when they first came out yeah, they were crap, but that was almost 20 years ago now.......

Run quality fluid (im thinking synthetic) and keep it cool, and it will last a long long time. Im going to run my new 4 core radiator with tranny cooler and an auxilary cooler in series (the radiator cooler after the auxiliary to keep it from getting too cold in the winter), also the auxiliary has its own fan for traffic days

As for overdrive, I think its just about a necessity nowadays unless you LIKE going 65 in the slow lane while everyone in thier POS minivans pass you like you're standing still - LOL.

My truck will cruise at 85 or so as is, but I really have to flog those ponies to go that fast, it hurts me too bad to run it that hard for hours on end. I dream of kicking back, setting the cruise on 84 mph and listening to the puuuurrrrrr of flowmasters.

72 LWB c/10 4wd-Hugger Orange - Frame Off Resto, 350, 4"lift, Auburn Limited Slips Both Axles- 4.56 gears- 35's - HEI - Edelbrock Performer Carb and Intake.

Recently Completed - 700r4/NP208 conversion and vortec heads.

Future Goals - Vortec Injection, lowering back to original height, and one ton running gear so's I can haul all my crap. Lifted truck look cool but they are useless for anything but 'wheeling
stknrdr2 is offline   Reply With Quote