The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2002, 07:33 PM   #1
umrebelsfan

Gennie v. Repo Rocker Report

Well I finally got my "genuine" GM rocker from Brothers. They were the only source I found who still listed this option. At $100 more than repos, this was a big step. I promised a report and I got a question so here goes:

The Good News

The fit is much much better than the repos. MUCH BETTER! The front section bends where it meets the door pillar are crisper than the repos matching the door pillar bends perfectly. This was my main complaint with the repos and the Gennies delivered. They would be worth the difference in price if not for

The Bad News

The back section is wavy. This is hard to descibe and on black parts probably impossible to photograph but it looks as if, well I don't know what it looks like, but its wrong. It looks as if it got bent under pressure but with a mold slightly incomplete allowing it to buckle slightly along the radius of the back curve. Its almost like sun rays running perpendicular to the bend. It does not affect the fit, but it is going to require some hammer and dolly work.

I called Brothers and they told me that sometimes the repos were actually better than GM and they could not guarantee the next rocker they sent would be any better. I can wait, but would be interested in what you guys think. Hammer the waves out myself or return and hope for a better part? Or is Brothers blowing smoke and should I ask for an adjustment?

This is my first order from Brothers and the sales guy did seem knowledgable he also said he had seen the problem before in rockers and it was particularly bad with GM wheel wells. They did offer to make it right with a replacement but basically told me I probably would not be happy with the replacement and should just request a refund. But d*mn they fit sweet!!!
Old 09-05-2002, 07:38 PM   #2
HotRod929

Well I dont know about you but if I paied that much for a rocker it better fit perfect and look perfect.

Heres what I would do...send them back and get a new on...if the new one sucks then ask for a refund and take your buisness elsewhere.

That just my .02

HotRod
Dana 60 w/ 4.10 gears AND Powr-Loc POSI
New Additions:
Summit Headers
135amp alternator
Proform HEI
Edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb
Sunpro Tach
Powr-Loc POSI
Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake
MSD 6A Ignition Box

AIM: HotRod929

Visit My Site: http://1970chevy.netfirms.com/
HotRod929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 07:40 PM   #3
ebfabman

umrebelsfan, the last several "cheap import" rockers I've used were a pretty decent fit and looked dam nice when finished. Just don't see the extra money is worth it.
Just MO.........
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 07:52 PM   #4
bigvinnie

damn, I think I paid about $60 for a GM rocker, I guess that was a bargain...

I would send it back and have them visually check to make sure you get what you pay for..... not sure why they say they can't guarantee you'll get a better rocker.... I assume they have eyes like the rest of us and can inspect their parts for quality, doesn't sound like too much to ask.

Tell them if they can't send you anything better, that you would like a refund..... haven't dealt with this supplier, but with that attitude, it sounds like they may have a lot of one-time customers.

72 Stepside Project

Last edited by bigvinnie; 09-05-2002 at 07:58 PM.
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 08:10 PM   #5
tom hand
CCRider

First off I think they are genuine GM replacement parts, meaning GM has given there approval for a company to make them and put a GM replacement part sticker on them for a price, I don't believe that GM is still stamping out parts for 30 year old vehicles. I bought the 20 dollar ones and they fit perfect, I would'nt have give a penny more for the "gennies"
Old 09-05-2002, 08:15 PM   #6
umrebelsfan

efab, I thinks some guys just have all the luck. I was on my third repo (I driver's side and two passenger) when I decided anything fits better than these. I bet your ability to get it to fit probably has something to do with your talent too, from what I have seen on this board to say you have alot more talent with body work than I do would be like saying DeNiro is a little better actor than Adam Sandler. I'm sure your ability to make the repos fit is much better than mine.

I don't want to give anyone a bad impression of Brothers other than whoever packed it should have pulled this one or customer service should have called prior to sending it. Customer service really did not have an attitude about it that was anything but helpful, I asked them if this was common with these rockers and they admitted it was. They offered the refuned willingly. The only complaint I have is if a large majority of the parts are like that they need to get a break from GM and we ought to be able to buy these for $50 or so. They are far from perfect as some have advertised. They apparently have trouble getting them and this is confirmed by not seeing very many other vendors offering this as an option.

Some vendor could really distinguish themselves in our hobby if they really inspected parts for fit and finish. I'd pay extra not to deal with the frustration. The $100 extra (6X the price of repos) for the Gennies would not have concerned me in the least if the rocker fit like the original and was the absolute best you could buy and free of such an obvious defect. I bill for my time and the time it will take me (or my poor runner) to screw with sending it back may not be worth the trouble compared to keeping it and spending a little time trying to work it over.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has purchased a gennie rocker that appeared to have this defect only becuase if there is a good chance I can get a good fitting good looking gennie rocker I'd return this one. All you vendors out there if you got one or more in stock that doesn't have this problem let me know by PM. You got a chance to sell two to me and will likely have a repeat customer.

Last edited by umrebelsfan; 09-05-2002 at 08:25 PM.
umrebelsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 08:24 PM   #7
umrebelsfan

Wink

Hey Tom for a couple of tickets to a Rebels game can you come down sometime and make my repos fit? Olive Branch is only a couple of beers from Oxford.

The gennie rocker does have a GM sticker, but I'm sure they sold the molds and licensed the productions rights as you said.

The guy making them probably sells them back to GM for $20 so GM can sell them to Brothers for $40 so Brothers can sell them to me for $120.

Where are you guys getting your repos that fit perfect?
Old 09-05-2002, 08:34 PM   #8
tom hand
CCRider

Yea you are right down the road. I might could help if you are not in a big hurry, my job keeps me traveling a lot. [I just cut my grass for the first time in three weeks] I got my cheapies at Chevy Duty.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:44 PM   #9
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I agree that for that price I would expect a lot better than what you described. I am still wainting for my first replacement rocker. Be my first time, so I have no experience in replacement panels. I have however delt with Brothers for other things and I have no complaints with them at all. They have been extremely helpful when I needed it.

I think I agree with the other about returning it and seeing what the replacement looks like. If it is just as bad, I again agree...get a refund and get a repo one.

My.02

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 08:55 PM   #10
palallin

Umm, I'll probably get burned for this, but that same defecxt was present on some factory rockers.

My brother currently owns the "familiy" truck: '70 C-10. It was my uncle's (new), then my dad's, then his. Up until last year, it still had the rockers it was born with. Both sides had those waves in the bends.

FWIW.
Old 09-06-2002, 06:01 AM   #11
umrebelsfan

Thanks pallalin, this is kind of what I suspected.

I think I'll return it and see if the replacement would be any better. Surely they'll call before sending me one just as screwed up.

The only problem is this one took a couple of weeks to get here and the guy said they are constantly back ordered.

Does anyone know of another source? Like I said, I used to see both offered all the time. Now I don't, which leads me to beleive one of three thiings; (a) the source couldn't keep up leading vendors to ditch 'em (b) the repos were so widely accepted at $20 demand for the gennies went to nil or (c) all the gennies sucked like this.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:38 AM   #12
BigGreenMachine

Yeah, IMHO, these trucks were TRUCKS, built for function and not so much for looks. Most of the trucks sold up until the mid to late 80's were working vehicles and not luxury vehicles. It has been my experience that the cosmetics on some of the original body parts was almost an after thought.

Just my $0.02...

Scott
Factory Dual Exaust
BigGreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 09:48 AM   #13
da-burb
"Ochre Ogre"

I don't think there is somebody out there is still manufacturing these GM Original rockers. GM would have made replacement parts for a few years after the end of production and then they were done. The stamping dies are destroyed, tossed, recycled or sold. That means these rockers have been sitting in a warehouse somewhere for the last 25+ years. I have only seen one company advertising that they are using the original GM dies to manufacture their part and that was the inner wheel wells. Even that doesn't mean it will fit. The die has 30 years of wear on it.

I have a set of NOS GM rockers that came with a truck. These were purchased in the early 80's. I will look to see if they have the problem you describe.

Bowtie Truck Stop Inc.
Mid-West GM Truck Restoration Parts Supplier
Your Key Parts, Auto Metal Direct, Dynacorn,
and Goodmark dealer.
like us @ www.facebook.com/BowtieTruckStop

1971 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1971 K-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 K-20 Suburban (Yellow- that just aint right!)

Springfield, Minnesota 56087
da-burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 02:46 PM   #14
Ken72

Question

I just found the board a week or so ago and been lurkin' a little. So I thought I'd register today.

I'm just beginning to restore my 72' Cheyenne from the ground up. I have been looking into purchasing some Repro parts for it. Ex. Rocker panels, front bed panel, etc.

Are there many problems with repro's? Would it be worth the extra cash to go ahead and purchase original GM parts?

By the way - Tom, Rebel - I'm just right down the road from both of ya, in Hickory Flat. Kinda new to the restoring bit, but if ya need any help I'd be willin' to do what I could.

Ken
Old 09-07-2002, 08:38 AM   #15
umrebelsfan

Welcome Ken, are you in the Hickory Flat around Okalona or the one in Benton County?

I think the consensus is everyone but me is pretty happy with the repos. If you want to haul over here some time I'll give you mine for your troubles.

I'm returning the one rocker and ordering some new ones from a different supplier who took up the challenge. (I promise not to flame him if I can't be pleased, sometimes you've just got to figure the problem lies within in terms of expectations). I've got to get a dogleg while I'm at it. Next weekend the Ole Miss Rebels are playing an away game, so I hope to get all of it put on. (Already have one cab corner, floorpan and kick panel replaced. Hope to get the other floorpan cut down and the kick panel in tommorrow.) You guys are welcome to come see me make a mess of a couple of hundred worth of parts over some cold beers!
Old 09-07-2002, 09:44 AM   #16
ebfabman

Wish I were closer, I like cold beer
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 01:31 PM   #17
Ken72

That would be great - I'll bring the cold beers I'm in Benton County about 25-30 minutes from Oxford. Go through Oxford quite a bit - my bro lives in Batesville.

Maybe we can plan something for next weekend - I'll be gone to Atlanta, GA Monday - Wednesday, for work purposes. Need any parts from there?

BTW - I ran up on a sweet deal today. Guy right down the road is selling his 71' C/10 SWB with 350 for $500. One side panel on the bed is pretty rough, and the passenger side fender is in pretty bad shape, but she runs great. I think I'll be picking her up later this week, that's if I can smooth it over with the wife
Old 09-08-2002, 04:03 PM   #18
nroden

I have the Tri Plus (CCG) rockers and they fit on their pretty easily and looked good. They were $19.95 a piece from Manes Truck Parts (who also sells the GMs for $95)
I believe (not sure) that GMCPaul's rockers are also this brand. The only thing I didn't like is that they were made in Taiwan.
Retired and in the dry... still runs. I now drive Red '01 Ford Focus... better MPG!!!
nroden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 09:40 PM   #19
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

COMPARED GM & GOOD REPROS

I have two GM rockers, 10-15 years old, from two different sources (traded to me years apart). They both have exactly the same wrinkles in the bends that you describe. I use them to show how much smoother the "good" repros are...and the good repros are heavier. Look out though, not all of the heavier repros are the same. There are a half dozen manufacturers of rockers. In this case the GM are not worth the $$$. GM didn't get worse, the repros just got better! Good luck.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:00 PM   #20
umrebelsfan

Thanks Pickmup. The vendor I ordered from told me that all the genuine GM ones he had had the same ripples and talked me into his repos.

Ken, my parts aren't coming in until next Tuesday the 17th, so it doesn't look like I'll be doing much until then. Maybe we can get together one weekend after that.

Brad
Old 09-11-2002, 02:27 PM   #21
Ken72

Sounds good Brad.

Looks like I'll be sandblasting and painting my frame this weekend anyway. If all goes well.

Just PM me or drop me an email when you plan to get started. I'll pack the beer and head that way