The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2002, 08:25 PM   #1
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

203 part time conversion Q

when a 203 is converted from original full time over to Warn part time hubs, i take it that the axle shafts still always receive engine power ? correct ?

when is it ok or not ok to engage hubs on converted 203 ?

thanks
Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 10:50 PM   #2
Johns70

if you have a 203 case with manual hubs, the axle still has power going to them.

the reason for this, is there is a differentail in the back of the t-case,that is why you have to run it in hi-loc or low-lock to get it to move. the part time kit, removes the spider gears in this t-case diff,and locks it solid.then you can run it in the normal hi or low for two wheel drive and the lock positions for four wheel drive. they are not a very good t-case in my opinion, they are a chain drive t-case and the chain stretches and the chain gears wear and it can get real expensive to fix. you can tell when they start to get real worn when your in reverse with a load against it it feels like the raer end i hoping. hope this answers the question.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:37 PM   #3
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

i still dont yet understand this hi loc and lo loc deal,

from what i can gather, the addition/converion of manual hubs on full time truck can then allow freewheeling of the wheel hubs/rotors apart from the axle shafts unlike originally designed/intended

so now you could have(by cheating at the hubs with the conversion) a 2wd hi and a 2wd lo ?

no diff unit inside of 208 and 205 ?

purpose of diff unit in 203 is to allow faster revs of front or rear tires than the opposite pair right? isnt that a food thing to have on any 4x4 vehicle ?

thanks!

Last edited by Fast68Chevy; 09-15-2002 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:31 PM   #4
Johns70

The 203 t-case is a full time 4 wheel t-case, the trucks that had these had no locking hubs they were always engaged.thats why they had chrome flat cover,and a differential in the t-case.

when you put manual hubs on the front then you have to run the t-case in the hi or low loc postion to get the truck to move.and to put the truck in 4 wheel drive you have to do it with the locking in the hubs.thats because of the diff. inside the t-case.

hi and low on the selector is two wheel drive and hi loc and low loc is four wheel drive.

the 205 t-case is a part time 4 wheel case gear driven you have shift on the fly hi range to low range but have to stop to go from 2 to 4 wheel.

the 208 t-case is also a part time case but it is chain driven.

i'm not sure what the diff. is exactly for in the 203 t-case.it is the only t-case that uses the hi,hi loc, low,low loc positions.the others use 4 low 4 high 2 low and 2 high.

i hope this answers you question.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:13 AM   #5
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

i dont know what the point of those ranges are either, i almost may just see about getting the diff parts and full time hubs and converting it back to full time straight again, especially after reading this lil bit: http://www.off-road.com/chevy/mm-np203/

thanks man
Old 09-16-2002, 08:49 AM   #6
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

ok so loc positions are four wheel and non loc positions are two wheel ?

thanks

Last edited by Fast68Chevy; 09-16-2002 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-16-2002, 12:18 PM   #7
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

To make a 203 part time, you must purchase the part time kit, not just put on locking hubs. Mile marker sells the kits. http://milemarker.com/

Below is the shift paterns for the stock - full time 203 and the converted part time kit. I believe that grimreaper sent me this info a while back. He seems to be the expert on the 203 t-case, at least he has alway stepped up to answer my questions.

Stock:
LLOC - 4 wheel low front and rear locked together
L - 4 wheel low front and rear open
N
H - 4 wheel high front and rear open
HLOC - 4 wheel high front and rear locked together

Part Time Kit:
LLOC - 4 wheel low front and rear locked together
L - 2 wheel low
N
H - 2 wheel high
HLOC - 4 wheel high front and rear locked together

As far as I know, if you have the part time kit and locking hubs, you can engage them at any time but you won't be in 4wd unless you shift the t-case to one of the 4wd positions.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 01:10 PM   #8
Michael A. K. G

Quote:
Originally posted by Fast68Chevy

purpose of diff unit in 203 is to allow faster revs of front or rear tires than the opposite pair right? isnt that a food thing to have on any 4x4 vehicle ?
No, it isn't.

If you raise ONE wheel in the air, you're stuck. The differential will spin that one wheel (assuming Posi or open diff).

The simpler part-time 4WD would require you to raise TWO wheels in the air (one in front and one in back), which is considerably harder.

You don't need 4WD on dry pavement. A standard part time 4WD can be disengaged quickly (at least from 4HI to 2HI) even with the truck moving, very quickly and easily. You can leave manual hubs locked, especially if you have an open front differential.
Michael A. K. G is offline   Reply With Quote