The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2006, 02:39 AM   #1
Striker169
Car O'Holic

Question Painless Turn Off...

So I got a painless kit, and well after hours of trying to figure out why my headlights were not working, I got the help of BubbaGreen and we found out they miss wired my headlight switch pigtail. Well now my next issue is that the truck doesnt turn off because the light in the dash I am guessing is not de-exciting the alt.

So my question is what wire(or wires) go to the light to de-excite the alt? Or on the painless kits how does this work?
Striker169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

Re: Painless Turn Off...

My experience has been that Painless has real good tech support. Drop them an e-mail and I bet they get back to you in a day or so with an answer.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:48 PM   #3
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Go to the electrical forum and check the wiring diagram sticky thread on the top of the page and it should help answer your questions . Be sure to thank the guys for creating it.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.

Last edited by VetteVet; 01-15-2006 at 01:48 PM.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:48 PM   #4
wink_tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker169
So I got a painless kit, and well after hours of trying to figure out why my headlights were not working, I got the help of BubbaGreen and we found out they miss wired my headlight switch pigtail. Well now my next issue is that the truck doesnt turn off because the light in the dash I am guessing is not de-exciting the alt.

So my question is what wire(or wires) go to the light to de-excite the alt? Or on the painless kits how does this work?

I had the same problem when I installed my painless kit, the truck would not stop running after turning the key off. I am using an alternator with an internal regulator. Painless tech support instructed me to install a diode on the white wire at the alternator, part # 276-1661 at Radio Shack. On the diode there is a stripe, you will want to install that end toward the alternator. The tech support there is awesome, if you have trouble you should call.