The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2006, 10:52 PM   #26
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Caddy Big Block in 67 C-10?

THink of when you get on a MTN bike.
If you put the bike in the hill climbing gears, and try to run on level land, you'll *rev* real fast right up to your red line and not feel much power.
Now, place that bike in the higher gears, and now, you can put some weight into it and *tug* right through the gear up to speed.

That's the easiest way i can describe it.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:18 AM   #27
lloyd k

thats exactly like it is, it'll pull you thru the gears so fast before you know it your out of top end, a great truck motor. I just got mine out of storage this past weekend and forgot what it was like driving it. it literally throws the truck around like it's nothing in normal driving . I just picked up another complete 500 in pieces that I can build with out pulling the one in the truck. driving my little isuzu truck by a gas staiton lately makes you think how exspensive it'll cost to feed that monster
Old 04-04-2006, 06:53 PM   #28
Longhorn Man

I got a freebie 425 headed my way and I'm going to pull the 500 and actually throw some money at it. I haven't been 100% satisfied that it is as healthy as the testing showed...
Any idea what the new alluminum heads cost?

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 04-04-2006 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:15 PM   #29
JAKES 68GMC
Aluminum slot wheels rule...

http://www.cad500parts.com/catalog/page13.htm There ya go Andy.

Kinda surprising, that the aluminum heads for a Caddy don't cost a lot more than SB Chevy heads.
JAKES 68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:27 PM   #30
Jayss109

Nobody has any of those heads available. I know there are some new versions in the works. Plus for all that $$ you can make iron heads flow just as well AND you dont have to kick in the $$ for a new intake to match your new heads as well. Andy, talk to Potter is you are serious. That guy is a guru of head setup, valvetrain and all the goodies. I really wanted to get his stuff couple years ago when I did my rebuild, but couldnt front the $$ and didnt have the time.
From everything Ive read over at the Cad board from actual Bulldog head users, Im not all that impressed. Enless your going full racing motor, I think its a total waste of $$. My .02cents

J
________
Lovely Wendie

Last edited by Jayss109; 04-27-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Jayss109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:20 PM   #31
Longhorn Man

I have done zero research on the bull dog heads, and naturally, would do quite a bit before caughing up that kind of $$. I was going by the assumption of 35 year old technology verses modent technology... plus the fact that you can get away with higher compression with alluminum.
It'll probably be a year down the road yet, and in all honesty, I'm not even sure what I want out of this engine... but I am sick of 100,000 mile old engines and wondering what's going to happen next week, or even around the next corner.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 04-04-2006 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:28 PM   #32
lloyd k

i went thru the wait on the eldobrock heads on an olds 455 i was building for a cutlass, 8 month wait on my 1700 dollars and still needed a valve job and springs fitted right. i think they are going thru the same thing on the bulldog heads. potter over at cowboyseven is develping some new heads, but same thing , money up front and the wait. i would love to throw some money if i had it but at this point i dont see it for me. i think some forged pistons and add some nitrous would be pretty exciting. im going to work on the basics and maybe sway that way