The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2006, 08:59 PM   #1
Ole Blue 68

Help, two problems

Alright, so I took advantage of a day off today to put what I hope was some final touches on my engine; billet distributor tie down, billet water neck with 160 degree thermostat and air cleaner spacer.

I get it all together and when I take it out for a test run I notice that it feels like something is interfering with the travel of the gas pedal and the throttle is not letting up when I take my foot off the gas. So I get out and check the linkage and the return spring and everything looks fine. The only thing I could think of was that the sparkplug wires got moved when I was messing with the dizzy and were somehow hanging up the throttle linkage. So I moved them and double checked the return spring. Started down the road and had the same problem. Has anybody had a problem like this?

The other thing I noticed is it seemed like it didn't want to turn over for a second or two but then it started and ran fine. I just had the starter rebuilt about a month ago. So, I'm thinking maybe it was a lousy rebuild or is it possible the heat off of my headers is starting to fry the starter already? (no heat deflector yet) I also thought maybe I knocked the dizzy when I was putting the new tie down on but it runs fine once it starts. If it were the dizzy, I figure I'd notice it when the engine was running too.

What do you all think?
Ole Blue 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:10 PM   #2
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Re: Help, two problems

My problem wasn't exactly like yours. I lost the cotter pin that holds the throttle linkage to the carb and stuck a piece of wire in it. The wire was just long enough and stiff enough that it was hanging up the throttle by draging against the carb. It kept the throttle plates from closing all the way making the engine hard to start and hard to idle. That's my shot in the dark.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:58 AM   #3
Ole Blue 68

I've got like a c-clip holding it in place but it never hung up before. I'll double check it just in case.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:49 AM   #4
al's71gmc
4 eyed fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Blue 68
The other thing I noticed is it seemed like it didn't want to turn over for a second or two but then it started and ran fine.
By "didn't want to turn over", do you mean it doesn't crank for a couple of secs, or just doesn't start right away? If it doesn't crank right away, it sounds electrical to me. Maybe ignition switch going bad or loose connection at batt or starter? Good luck, Al
1972 GMC Sierra Grande 1/2 t 4x4-#1 son's truck. Recently completed resto.

4 YO daughter," Daddy, I like your truck better than Mom's." (2000 F350-ranch truck) Smart kid!!
al's71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
Ole Blue 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by al's71gmc
By "didn't want to turn over", do you mean it doesn't crank for a couple of secs, or just doesn't start right away? If it doesn't crank right away, it sounds electrical to me. Maybe ignition switch going bad or loose connection at batt or starter? Good luck, Al
Thanks Al, it seemed like there was a hesitation in the starter/ignition. It felt awful similar to when the starter died on me last month.