The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2006, 02:04 AM   #1
harnalien
TruckincrazY

Looking for help with engine buildup

I know this may be long winded, but please forgive me. I want a new/remanufactured engine in my 84 chevy shortbed 2wd. The truck is still under emissions for the next 2 years, so whatever i get has to comply. What i'm looking for is a little performance upgrade over a stock 350 such as cam, intake, new headers/exhaust, and carburetor. My goal is a reliable daily driver w/ as close to 300hp as i can get without going overboard, and a good sound. I don't know if my current engine would be a good starting point, so i'm thinking of buying a remanufactured engine from one of the local shops, and then finding somewhere to put on the performance parts then install the engine. I really don't have the space or skill to build it myself, so I'm looking for suggestions on what the best way is to go about it on a budget. The new GM crate motors ( http://www.crateenginedepot.com/350-...6968-P5C2.aspx )say that they are not intended for pollution controlled vehicles, so i'm out of luck there, right? Does anybody in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area have any shops they recommend that may be able to help me in my plans. Sorry if this is rambling. Please ask for any further details i can give. Some of the remanufactured engine suppliers i'm looking at are: http://www.citymotorsupply.com/ http://www.andersonengines.com/index.html & http://www.blainesmotorsupply.com/

Last edited by harnalien; 03-28-2006 at 10:54 PM.
harnalien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:54 PM   #2
harnalien
TruckincrazY

Re: Engine Options

No suggestions?
Old 03-28-2006, 11:32 PM   #3
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I would look at the crate engines at www.summitracing.com or www.jegs.com. I just bought a 260 hp crate 350 for my truck from summit for $1459 shipped. It is new, not rebuilt. I believe they also have a 290 hp version for a few hundred more.

Slonaker
Old 03-28-2006, 11:58 PM   #4
Rust_Free_Chevy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker
I believe they also have a 290 hp version for a few hundred more.

Slonaker
They do, and its worth it. It what Ive got in my 88, with a few simple mods you can have a little over 300 HP.
Rust_Free_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:23 PM   #5
harnalien
TruckincrazY

well i found a shop that will do a remanufactured 350 w/ a 3ys 36000 mile warranty for about 1500 installed. That includes a mild RV cam. I'm going to get a new intake manifold and carburetor just so i don't have to worry about them anytime soon. I think its the original carb anyway. After that i'm gonna get a new exhaust from the manifolds back. It should take a few months to get the engine/exhaust finished. then it's on to the fun stuff.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:36 PM   #6
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Ask around and make sure they are reputable.

Slonaker
Old 03-31-2006, 12:16 AM   #7
SSC's76
No No

Thats dirt cheap, too cheap if you ask me. Dont be supprised if that estimate jumps closer to $2,000+ when it's all said an done.
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 12:39 AM   #8
84slopwaggin

You know on the 290hp version of the gm crate engine the torque is down to 325 while the torque spec. on the 260hp version is rated at 350. I would much rather have the torque than the hp for a daily driver. That 290 is probably around 4800 or so rpm's, and you spend more of your time at much lower rpm's where the added torque would be used. I think the 290hp version would be great for a light vehicle. I also read in Chevy Hiperformance that with the use of headers, performer intake, and a good aftermarket carb they were able to achieve around 275hp in the 260hp engine. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by 84slopwaggin; 03-31-2006 at 12:41 AM.
84slopwaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:30 AM   #9
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84slopwaggin
You know on the 290hp version of the gm crate engine the torque is down to 325 while the torque spec. on the 260hp version is rated at 350. I would much rather have the torque than the hp for a daily driver. That 290 is probably around 4800 or so rpm's, and you spend more of your time at much lower rpm's where the added torque would be used. I think the 290hp version would be great for a light vehicle. I also read in Chevy Hiperformance that with the use of headers, performer intake, and a good aftermarket carb they were able to achieve around 275hp in the 260hp engine. Just my 2 cents.
I just put the 260 hp version in my truck (replaced the 305), and it really woke it up.

Slonaker
Old 05-05-2006, 08:20 PM   #10
harnalien
TruckincrazY

This thread may be old, but i guess I have a new question. It may be deceptively simple to me. How much would a typical installation cost (ballpark) for a basic universal GM crate 350. The truck already has a 350 in it, so all accessories should transfer over. The only thing to be replaced would be the intake manifold and carburetor that i will purchase on my own for the shop to install during the swap. Can any engine shop install one of these new motors, or does it have to be dealer installed.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:24 PM   #11
Daubs

I called around and was quoted between $2700 and $3500 to take out my old 350 and put in a reman 350.

I'm going to get a GM crate engine and have purchased puller, stand and still will save about $1000
Old 05-07-2006, 09:36 PM   #12
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

The first thing that you stated makes this whoole thing a little TOUCHY. The fact that you are trying to match the State's codes for emissions, makes this changeout complicated. ANY time you try to push up the HP on an engine you severly impact the items that are of serious concern to those that are doing the testing. I would ask, How often do you have to go to the testing facility for a re-certification? If you can do that before you do the change and the retest won't be for another couple years, then go for the HP push when you have done the test.

I have installed a couple of the GM direct replacement motors and they stand up quite well. An intake and cam change on them will push you to about 290 HP and then tie that to a good exhaust and carb, you will be pleasantly surprised. The price on these motors are about $1500.00 now, but they are new. Since you live in Texas, get in touch with Scoggin-Dickey Chevrolet http://www.sdpc2000.com/. These guys sell GM, Ford and Dodge motors all of the time.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:32 PM   #13
harnalien
TruckincrazY

That is a lot of money, way more than i was expecting. when the motor blew in my 98 blazer, the warranty company paid $4300 total for a new gm 4.3 motor, removing and tearing down the bad motor to verify no negligence on my part, and installation of the new engine. i figured since i had an older truck, installation would be a little easier due to the space to work in and lack of all the computer equipment. as far as emissions go, the texas inspection info i've researched says they test emissions on vehicles that are 24 years old and newer, so with my truck being an 84, i have 2 more years of emissions checks. so i think that means i can pull all of the emissions stuff off after my 2008 inspection. I guess i need to get out and find some shops that i can talk to so i know whether to get a new/remanufactored engine, or just have mine freshened up w/ a rebuild.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:47 AM   #14
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I did a build of a 383 stroker motor last year and eliminating the work that I had done to stroke the motor and put in the heavier duty parts for a stronger motor, I would say that $1800.00 to $2000.00 is going to be a reasonable set of numbers for the machine shop. Keep in mind that was just engine rebuild only, I did the removal and install myself. I believe that there is such a thing as "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR". If it sounds like a great deal, then make sure of what it is that you are getting. An engine rebuild is not something that you want to use "Generic Parts" in. Do it right or within 15000 miles you will be doing it again. There are a lot of suppliers of factory rebuilt motors in my area and those motors don't appear to have the quality parts in them, they have a lot of problems with them. BE CAREFUL as you look for the right price. Unless you know the mechanic real well, most shops will charge anywhere from $65.00 to $85.00 an hour to do the remove and replace. I imagine that they would look at about 6 hours total as a basr for that job. Then add a couple of hours to do the other parts removal and install (accessories, etc...).
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote