The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2006, 10:20 AM   #26
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Re: 96 diesel in a 67 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP from Cntl PA
It isn't the transmissions fault.............The NV4500 is a great transmission, the problem is the ENGINE is too much for it. You don't hear the Ford or GM guys having problems because their diesels won't lug like a Cummins. Even the Allison has limitations when bolted behind a 6-BT, I seen more than a few guys have custom shafting made for their Allisons on the Cummins Conversion board because of the fear of a turned up 6BT shreading everything internally because of the small shaft OD and spline counts.

If I ever use a Cummins for another swap, I am going to go with an Eaton...........I didn't even use a 6BT for my conversion, and I tore the heck out of my driveline twice..............The extreme amounts of torque and very low RPM just tears everything up. It doesn't help that we drive mine like a Semi, we pull it down to where its torque peaks out, engine keeps going, driveline says "NO!" But that is the trait I love about a Cummins, you can't kill them..............
I was talking moreso about the Dodge Auto trannys, but I have friend that has a salvage yard and he has had lots of trouble with NV4500's in his 3500HD Dump truck and Rollback with 6.5L TD. If you beat on any of the big 3's Turbo Diesel trucks, drivetrain problems will result. Lugging the engine down to the torque peak like you are talking about asking for trouble. My uncle used to run a pulp wood business, and they ran a lot 478 and 432 cu in GMC V6 gassers in the trucks, and when they would get them in a bind and lug them, it would destroy big Clark trannys.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 02:31 PM   #27
onetoncrewcab
One of my kids. Cute eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72freak
The major problem was not the engine but in fact the injectors and the pumps. I had several of both and they were always broken.
I haven't read this whole thread, but this is probably the one that I agree with the most. I work at a maintenance shop for the military and we stock injectors and the injector pumps. We used to go through quite a few of both a couple of years ago. We don't go through quite as much now because the old CUCVs (the 84-86 Chev Blazers and Pickups) are headed out of the system. Most of our HMMWVs are in Iraq so those are gone temporarily (I hope).

We may have went through a lot of these because we had a lot of these trucks in the system. But it seemed that we used a higher proportion of these parts than anything else.

Mike
onetoncrewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 03:17 PM   #28
TP from Cntl PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30
I was talking moreso about the Dodge Auto trannys, but I have friend that has a salvage yard and he has had lots of trouble with NV4500's in his 3500HD Dump truck and Rollback with 6.5L TD. If you beat on any of the big 3's Turbo Diesel trucks, drivetrain problems will result. Lugging the engine down to the torque peak like you are talking about asking for trouble. My uncle used to run a pulp wood business, and they ran a lot 478 and 432 cu in GMC V6 gassers in the trucks, and when they would get them in a bind and lug them, it would destroy big Clark trannys.
I haven't seen a PSD or D-jap that would run down on the low end yet.............I know my buddy's 7.3 while give up like a gas engine. One of the main reason he bought an auto in his last one, it wouldn't let the engine get anywhere close to the low end of the rpm range where it peaks out in torque........

We run the big trucks using the torque curve and don't have any trouble...........Usually on hills you will pull them down some, then they hit the sweat spot on the curve(Or should I say flat ) and walk right up the hills loaded. Running them like a gas engine or a 2 stroke Detroit wastes fuel and wears components.

Main problem in these pickup is they are putting a diesel in them and not backing them with components designed for real work, instead they are going after the customer like my uncle, they buy a 3/4 ton truck with a Diesel to pull a single axle bumper pull trailer.............Of-course he never puts the truck to any real use because he thinks he's overloaded when he has 4K on the trailer..............We don't have much trouble with our pickups, but I have friends that haul cattle with pickups and no matter what brand they buy it doesn't hold up.

They are getting more power out of these pickups then they were years ago in OTR tractors, we often say they should offer a small Roadranger as a transmission option.............Yeah they are heavy, but they last and drive well.

Inlines Rule! 6 soldiers standing is better than 8 laying down!!!!!!!!
TP from Cntl PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:54 PM   #29
dougs69c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by roj2323
don't do it!!

ok why? well the older chevy diesels are junk. they are very prone to breaking down and are very expencive to fix. the engine is also prone to breaking crank shafts. if you want to go with a diesel go with the newer one gm uses, "yr2000+" which is not made by GM. Or dare i say it go with a ford diesel

i have personaly had alot of experince with the older gm diesels and i really have grown to hate them just as much as i hate gm 4.3's. here's a little story about my bosses truck.

my boss bought his 1ton diesel truck in 2001 with 120,000 on it. since then he has had a blown engine, 2 blown turbos , 4 fuel regulators, a computer and plenty of other parts. today his truck is parked because it needs a 5th fuel regulator which is around $300. he has only put 20,000 on it since the engine swap. keep in mind all of the other parts except for one fuel regulator were put on after the engone swap. all in all it's cost him more than $8,000. in parts. so much for the deal he got on it.

now that was only one story i have more but i don't want to bore you as they all sound quite the same.

in short : don't do it!!

ondrew

that can be said for any motor, every brand/line is going to have a bad one in there now and then.

If i may ask why do you dislike the 4.3 b/c its a 350 minus 2 cylinders
Old 05-14-2006, 08:55 PM   #30
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
I haven't seen a PSD or D-jap that would run down on the low end yet.............I know my buddy's 7.3 while give up like a gas engine. One of the main reason he bought an auto in his last one, it wouldn't let the engine get anywhere close to the low end of the rpm range where it peaks out in torque........

We run the big trucks using the torque curve and don't have any trouble...........Usually on hills you will pull them down some, then they hit the sweat spot on the curve(Or should I say flat ) and walk right up the hills loaded. Running them like a gas engine or a 2 stroke Detroit wastes fuel and wears components.

Main problem in these pickup is they are putting a diesel in them and not backing them with components designed for real work, instead they are going after the customer like my uncle, they buy a 3/4 ton truck with a Diesel to pull a single axle bumper pull trailer.............Of-course he never puts the truck to any real use because he thinks he's overloaded when he has 4K on the trailer..............We don't have much trouble with our pickups, but I have friends that haul cattle with pickups and no matter what brand they buy it doesn't hold up.

They are getting more power out of these pickups then they were years ago in OTR tractors, we often say they should offer a small Roadranger as a transmission option.............Yeah they are heavy, but they last and drive well.
I do agree with that. In the current trend of HP wars the Big 3 is having in Diesel trucks, they don't seem to bulking up the drivetrain to match the engine. The 6.2/6.5 is really only a good engine if you use it as a light duty engine. They are pretty good on fuel and have the turbo engines accellerate well, and have good power for pulling reasonable loads. You can definitely work the Cummins much more, and personally I would love to have a 6BT in my car hauler because it is so heavy, especially loaded.

My trucks

Old 05-14-2006, 10:30 PM   #31
local13hutch

Alot of guys I know buy these new diesel pickup trucks -ford dodge gm- .and never really put a load behind them. Like a toy hauler or something in that range, then we leave town towing bragging about how there gonna leave me in the dust. Then we come to the first big climb and I blow by in my big block gas. Is what they dont under stand, Is if we were all pulling something real heavy I wouldnt stand a chance. Now before you guys get started I realize these trucks are pretty economical compared to mine, But also most of the guys I work with ''are city slickers'' lol- like myself and think automatically if you are gonna tow something you gotta have a diesel.. Now I am planning on towing heavier in the future but I want to put something custom together and still ''blow them off the road'' vintage style. It seems alot of men hit that gettin old age whatever that is and they go out and buy a huge truck lift it two feet put way to big of tires on it divorce there old ladys and never even use the truck as a truck...Well I am sure someone will not like what I am saying so I'll shut up now....peace......
72 3/4 ton sub 4x4
61 morris minor pickup, chevy 4.3 v6
03 escalade, 24" momo's wifes
96 2wd 2door tahoe
67 2wd suburban
72 4wd k5 99 vortec 14bolt/d60 205/th400- 72 4wd crewcab 1 ton sb cummins allison -2012 2ss camaro black hard top- 8 yamaha quads- 05 4wd one ton duramax dually, family limo.

Last edited by local13hutch; 05-16-2006 at 04:05 AM.
local13hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:09 AM   #32
special-K
Special Order

Around here I see guys in ties commuting to the office and soccer moms running around in these $50,000 rigs that the working man can`t afford.I`ve been running diesels since they`ve been out and were like a novelty,like no one took them seriously.Heck,it took Dodge`til`89 to put one on the road.And,BTW,they had alot of problems at first from vibration.Now,I`m running around in old junk while the upper middle class drives the work trucks around with hard tonneau covers to create a trunk for their "car".

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:01 AM   #33
hd78glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K
Around here I see guys in ties commuting to the office and soccer moms running around in these $50,000 rigs that the working man can`t afford.I`ve been running diesels since they`ve been out and were like a novelty,like no one took them seriously.Heck,it took Dodge`til`89 to put one on the road.And,BTW,they had alot of problems at first from vibration.Now,I`m running around in old junk while the upper middle class drives the work trucks around with hard tonneau covers to create a trunk for their "car".
yea I know what you are saying. How many times do you hear some self indulgent snob call their truck a car!
1978 1/2 Harley FLH
1998 K1500 diesel
hd78glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:07 PM   #34
TP from Cntl PA

Seems alot go with a big diesel pickup for the fuel mileage...............And the rest of the truck never gets used.

Inlines Rule! 6 soldiers standing is better than 8 laying down!!!!!!!!
TP from Cntl PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:16 PM   #35
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Seems alot go with a big diesel pickup for the fuel mileage...............And the rest of the truck never gets used.
That's very sad and very true...especially considering that with today's technology, vehicles should be much, much more fuel efficient. The oil companies just won't let it happen.

My trucks

Old 05-16-2006, 06:26 AM   #36
special-K
Special Order

I`d rather drive a Vette if I wasn`t hauling.They get great gasmileage at 80 mph.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote