The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2006, 09:33 PM   #26
barepaint

Re: adding resale value?

I agree with 67ss...keep it simple for resale...in restoring mine...when I bought it it was orginal...I looked at a lot of trucks for years before I bought this one...while alot were nice rides...u never know what was done to them is quality...what sold this truck over all the others was orginality...while I've made some mods...almost all are bolt ons and I have every orginal part...though I do not plan on selling...My children may if I don't have them burry Me in it lol...This will keep the value

ps 67ss and bishop love the 67ens
Attached Images

Last edited by barepaint; 05-15-2006 at 09:34 PM.
barepaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:10 AM   #27
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Hey roj2323,
Things get carried away at times don't they. It's your truck and I think you should do what ever you want to it. Good luck.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:44 AM   #28
ChevyDude

I am 90% finished with my Resto of a lil 71' shortbed. I wouldn't even think of selling it and making any money. This was my 1st 67-72 truck resto and has taken many many dollars and hours of hours of time. I doubt someone would walk up and offer me what I have into it and even if they did....she ain't for sale and mine is resale red...and that would be Corvette Torch Red. Jsut know that if you do a resto right it will take many hours and many dollars, not really the best thing to do if you are trying to make money, seems to me buying Home Depot stock or Dominos Pizza stock would be a better idea, BOOOOOYA as Kramer says!!!
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:07 PM   #29
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K
ALL these trucks are desireable.
Agreed, but the question isn't about the value of the truck - it's about buying one, putting X amount of $$$ into it and making money on the deal.

Ain't never going to happen, IMHO - and I've built and sold 12 pretty nice muscle cars and a few aircraft restorations over the years. The best you can hope for is to get a good market price and to finance your habit
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:28 PM   #30
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by roj2323
I am building a truck because I want to learn from and enjoy the process. If I was doing this sort of thing strictly for money I’d build a cudda, mustang, corvette or some other overly popular muscle car. God forbid I ask for advice.
Ondrew
Dude, don't take it personally it's just "his way"

If you don't mind coming out as a "wash" or less financially, then go for it. As others have noted, I would ensure any work you do is QUALITY work vs. just fixing stuff. I would take care of all the basic safety stuff - chassis, suspension and brakes, then move on to the engine and electical and finally the body. "Slapping a coat of paint" sounds really simple...but this is probably the 2nd biggest expense you'll have after the engine unless you do something really cheap and nasty. Whatever you do, do it once, do it right, keep the reciepts and take pictures. IMHO a photo logbook of the work is a lot more compelling than a bunch of reciepts at resale.

As for building an "overly popular muscle car", that's also a sure way to lose money. BOLD STATEMENT:I can't think of a single classic car resto that's ever been sold for what's gone into it. Sure, occasionally someone makes an "in the barn since '64" find and makes a killer buy - but that's the drastic exception and definitely not the rule. The shops that you see like "Wrecks to Riches" that show these guys making money on a rusty resto are BS...notice they track the parts costs on their little thermometer...and don't count the cost of the (donated) hours The little Tempest to GTO deal they did a while ago had $42K (I think) in parts costs...and 600+ hours invested. I think the numbers were a little low(maybe not - very experienced crew and a rapid build) but if you cost that out at a VERY low shop rate of $65/hour that's ~40 GRAND (~90K total)...and I think they sold it for high 40's.

GOOD LUCK and let us know how we can help!
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:54 PM   #31
CochinoFilipino

Paint the truck yourself. You'll get the experience you're looking for AND get the most return on the dollar.

Then add cheapo engine dress up kit and spend some time making a good ad.

We've all seen total garbage with a new cheapo paint job on an ill-fitted body go for big bucks on ebay.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:46 PM   #32
barepaint

I've read all the advice here and its all good...but probably the best is do it your way...gives u experience and that is priceless...to each there own...to many spices ruin the salsa baby

Last edited by barepaint; 05-17-2006 at 04:47 PM.
barepaint is offline   Reply With Quote