The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2006, 06:29 PM   #1
Sick72c10

Need Opinions...on a 72' restore?

This is my first post here, hopefully more to come. There seems to be tons of information on here. Very nice site.

Well I am looking at a 72 c10 or at least I am told a 72. Not sure what the differences are. Anyways, its seems to be to be a solid truck. The only rusty spots being on the bed steps, passenger door, and the front inner fender areas. Everything else looks fairly good. The rain gutters are a little rusty but do not seem to be rotted yet. Inside is pretty nice, the doorsills seem pretty rusty but not sure if that’s the actual screw-on sills or underneath on the actual floor.

Its a 6 cylinder, with a 3 speed on the tree, 75,000 orig miles. Its at a garage where I am friendly with the owners and its been sitting for as long as I can remember. The reason it sits now is because the gas tank leaks and water got in. So to run it, supposedly it would only need a new tank and carb rebuild. Plus the normal other things I would have to do for a truck that sat for so long.

I guess my questions are...

-Is this truck worth $2,0000?
-How hard would a V8/auto tranny swap be?
-Anything else I should check for?
-Last..how hard a fleetside beds to come by, I would pefer one...

Some pics...

Any other info that would be useful I would love to know.

Thanks,

~Kevin
Sick72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:37 PM   #2
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Re: Need Opinions...on a 72' restore?

OMG! Don't touch that body....don't wash it or wax it...just dust it off, drop it on bags fix the engine and running gear and drive it! It has the perfect patina for a classic rat rod truck!

Sorry...I got carried away...WELCOME to the board from Seattle, WA!

Normally I would not pay that much for a short step with a 6 cyl, 3 spd. plain jane truck...BUT...that one looks like the body is perfect and, as you can tell, I just love the minimalist look of that truck. In your part of the country solid trucks are much rarer than here. It looks like a great deal for the NE.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)

Last edited by stllookn; 06-21-2006 at 06:43 PM.
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
Blue85
Oilfield Trash

looks like a nice solid truck to start with, looks like a 71 or a 72 with 71 doors, not sure if i would pay 2g for it unless the cab is near perfect, did you look underneath to check the floor supports?
80 GMC K10 High Sierra bone stock
70 Chevelle 350SS long term project
68 GMC 3ton Grain Truck/Garbage wagon
50 Pontiac 2 Door Coupe Project
"I've got a shotgun rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank Jr.
Blue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:06 PM   #4
Sick72c10

I havent checked the floor supports, but I will check that out tomorrow. I am going to have to write down the VIN number so I can figure out the year, I tried to photograph it but it didnt come out. The current owner actually knew the old owner and it was mantained very well...not sure if that makes a difference after 10 years.

What would be a more reasonable price? 1000? 1500?

Heres the best pic of the only cab corner that has any rust.

Old 06-21-2006, 07:26 PM   #5
see ten
WTB this ad

Welcome to the board! That truck is a 71, a 72 would have the rearview mirror on the windshield not the headliner. Also a 72 would have an extra screw near the vent window on the doors along with plastic door panels. Unless the body was perfect, for 2K I would expect to hear it run. There are a lot of trucks that run with body rot/bad bodywork for that kind of cash. Non running 6cyl straight shift and some rot..............Hmmmm well. Use your best judgement.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:05 PM   #6
Ron 586
RIP Mr Ron

Welcome to the board from West Tennessee. If that truck is in Boston and been there all its life it's in good shape. You need to see the bottom to make sure the body is still attached to the frame. I would want to hear it run before putting up a lot of cash. A fresh battery and a small can of gas and a rubber gas line should do it. In one of the pictures it shows a radiator in the cab. Make sure before you try to start it that it has oil in it and coolant in the radiator. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

TN Message Forum

TN Facebook Group

SETN Truck Show

My Photobucket
Ron 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:15 PM   #7
Sick72c10

Ohh...that radiator is just one someone put in the cab and the bed is filled too. lol...its sitting in the back of a mechanic shop. I am told by them it would actually run if I hook a jump pack to it. I've know the guys that own the shop for 8 years or so and the truck is not actually for sale. They would just sell it to me if i decide to take it. Mostly because I have always wanted a c10 and now have the means to get one if I find the right one.

I am going to try to fire it up tomorrow and get a better idea of the floor/cab.

Thanks for the tips/info so far
Old 06-21-2006, 08:48 PM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

First, you need to find if there is a title. This deal while isn't shadey, screams lost title to me.
2k is a little high...but I look at the short step, unmolested, almost virgin, and I start to wonder if I am just being too cheap.

Welcome to the board, you have found THE place to get info.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:11 PM   #9
Sick72c10

Well the truck is definitely untouched, the guy who was the first owner died and now it sits pretty much in the same place since then. Once I decide to go fully into this project I will offer like 1200 haha..and go from there.

Anyone ever switch a 6 cycl to and 8? Eventhough that last one the list

First would be get everything working nicely, get all new chrome pieces and interior...then lower it a little and run 18/20" wheels. Oh and probably a silver flake metallic paint. But of course thats all after I do some sanding and sand-blasting on the undercarriage and frame. Which will probably take me till the spring.

But its all just dreams/talk till I have the pictures to show the work.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:11 PM   #10
stope4

From what I see it's a nice truck and it's a 6cyl. If it runs, $1500 - $2000 is not out of the question. What I have found, if you want nice, you've got to pay a little. In my opinion, if you want a v8, fleetside, lowered, new paint etc..., you may be better off finding one already done in the $4 - $5K range. It will be a lot cheaper. The truck in the picture though, really looks like it should stay the way it is.
stope4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:16 PM   #11
timamin

if it's a straight 6 I did a swap in my c20 to a 400 v8 and new tranny. wasn't much to change.
Powder coated bumpers
Progressive Wheels
Future mods
single windows.
alum. fuel cell under bed, sidemarker fuel cap mod.
All white and yellow interior.
leather bucket seats.
timamin is offline   Reply With Quote