The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2006, 08:07 PM   #1
jht3rd

brake question

Hello guys,
I'm new to the forum and a new owner of a 68 C10.
Any ways When I bought the truck it came with an old booster and brackets
to covert to power brakes. It has a little rod that connects on the top bolt of
were the booster bolts to the bracket and a brace that bolts on were the master goes. Does this mean its a 3/4 ton setup ? also my firewall has no mounting holes for these brackets. Do i just drill a hole and run a bolt through? The reason I ask all of this I'm having braking trouble. I used the
rod that goes from the booster to the brake pedal from the booster and brackets that came with the truck.I got a new booster and master cyclinder from a local parts store, I told them for a 68 1/2 ton. Was this right considering the brackets I have? Now after mounting all of this to the stock proportioning valve that was already on the truck, it seems like the pedal goes down half way before it starts doing any thing. A friend and I bled all the air out. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
jht3rd
jht3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Re: brake question

Welcome to the board from West Michigan!

You probably have the setup off of a newer truck which would have had the mounting holes for the braces. You should be able to bolt the rod up to the E-brake mounting bolt. The channel brace needs a separate location provided for it to bolt up.

I suspect that you will need to do more bleeding on your brakes assuming the brakes are adjusted properly.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:43 PM   #3
shelby987

If the pedal pressure is good when its half way down, I would say you need to adjust the pedal rod, give it a couple of turns out to make it longer.
1993 Olds. Cutlass Ciera Wagon Traded 2006
2003 Saturn L200 w/5pd. D/D
My list spans 5 decades with One common thread.....GM!
shelby987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 03:16 AM   #4
Americanrider

From Western Washington,

I'm guessing that you are talking about the rod that mounts up to the firewall near the Wire harness? That was used on 69 & up trucks that have the foot pedal type parking brake. There is a raised area in the firewall that it mounts to. The 67 & 68's have the hand brake and did not have the raised area.

You can however still use the lower flat brace, but you will have to drill a hole through the floorboard to mount the bottom end. It ties into the stud between the booster & MC and extends back toward the firewall, down and then lays flat against the firewall. I did this when I mounted a Power Booster on my 67.
Attached Images

Americanrider is offline   Reply With Quote