The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2002, 09:05 PM   #1
Desert Rat

Virus Email

I recieved a virus warning email FW from a Mark Snow that claims everyone in adress book will be infected i seen alot of member adresses their it says to go in and delete a file.Anyone know if this is a joke trying to get you to delete a file you need,it mentioned something about teddy bear.

mark snow" <snow188@insightbb.com> | This is Spam | Add to Address Book
To: "zerotaxcigs" <zerotaxcigs@0taxcigs.com>, "Whips" <whips@iowaconnect.com>, "wentz motors" <wentzmtr@gamewood.net>, webmaster@67-72chevytrucks.com, Vernstout@aol.com, "Tony Shalamanda" <tonysbigtruck@yahoo.com>, "gentry" <tgentry24@comcast.net>, subscriptions@mcafee.com, "Tim Christian" <stchristian@chartertn.net>, "ken snow" <snowmotors@mcleodusa.net>, "Mark Snow" <snowman14@hotmail.com>, snow188@insightbb.com, "mark snow" <snow188@home.com>, "john snow" <snow@worthlink.net>, "ruth dave simcox" <simcoxfamily2@comcast.net>, "Steve Holzer" <sholzer@htpweld.com>, "arline snow" <shelby145@yahoo.com>, savedsearches@ebay.com, "brad snow" <satrain420@msn.com>, SamAnn36@aol.com, "ann staley" <samann@aol.com>, "marx" <sales@marxauto.com>, rustyolshovel@aol.com, "steve linda werner" <RSSW55@cs.com>, RSSW55@aol.com, ras36@yadtel.net, Papa7104@aol.com, Oddball0070@aol.com, NIftynos@aol.com, N2TRUCKS72@aol.com, "Margie Bunch" <mlbunch@scrtc.com>, "Karen R Miller" <mkmiller@magnolia-net.com>, "Keith Lay" <meathead95@hotmail.com>, "Mike & Barb" <mbculbert@centurytel.net>, "cpt martin mooney" <martin.mooney@us.army.mil>, "marme" <marmesimcox@comcast.net>, "lisa snow" <lisa.snow@scott.af.mil>, "s. workman" <kten72@yahoo.com>, "Kevin Hite" <kevinh@LeucoTool.com>, "Kenny's Trucks" <Kenny@Kennystrucks.com>, "yvonne simcox" <kelli123@centurytel.net>, "jorge rodriguez" <jrod767@yahoo.com>, JONE@BWCTI.COM, jimkocsis@charter.net, Jimbashotrods@aol.com, "jim pam mcbride" <jgm1956@insightbb.com>, "jeff ann blackburn" <jeff-anne@juno.com>, "jayspot" <jay@jayspot.com>, "Jim Yapp" <j.mustang5@verizon.net>, "insight" <insightnews@insightbb.com>, "Improvements" <improvements.320452972@s2u2.com>, "HYPERMAN" <hypermannbca@yahoo.ca>, "Hootie" <hooter@chalktv.com>, Gotbrackets@aol.com, "M C" <gmcrat427@yahoo.com>, "Gary Gregory" <garygregory@morgan.net>, "rick nelson" <flytyer3@hotmail.com>, Fk9u812@aol.com, "Ernest Gismant" <erg@nuwavenet.com>, "roger eileen culberson" <emculb@mcleodusa.net>, "ebfabman" <ebfabman@carolina.rr.com>, DTippmann@aol.com, "Donnie R Snipes" <DRSnipes@comporium.net>, "Darren and Jen" <djbonazz@tbaytel.net>, "danny nelson" <danny_nelson24@hotmail.com>, "Dick & Nancy Sundhagen" <dandn@minot.com>, "Dan Lemery" <dan72cst@hotmail.com>, "Customer Service" <CUSTOMERSERVICE@summitracing.com>, "brian culberson" <culbersonbriank@johndeere.com>, "brian joy culberson" <culbersonb@mchsi.com>, "clem barb blackburn" <clem-barb@juno.com>, "VetteGal" <classicvette@cox.net>, ChrHooker@aol.com, "shane turner" <chevytrucks2002@yahoo.com>, "Brian Peterson" <brian630@hotmail.com>, "brad culberson" <brad@getasp.com>, "bobby villanueva" <bobbyvilla@msn.com>, "Bill Clements" <billclem@bellsouth.net>, aw-confirm@ebay.com, "darrel whitaker" <alwhit@fgi.net>, "J.R.HOHIMER" <71341.312@compuserve.com>, "The 1947 - 1998 Chevrolet & GMC Pickup Message Board Network Mailer" <69chevy@clearsource.net>, "hobby67stepside" <3behrs@ncn.net>
Subject: Fw: Not a joke.
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 19:26:47 -0500

> --------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: "Matt Rueff" <rueffman65@insightbb.com>
> To: "Crawford, Deborah" <Cdeborahcrawford@aol.com>, "Cox,
> Kisty" <gardenlady@mcleodusa.net>, "Cooper,
> Reggie" <rac78@hotmail.com>,
> "Clem&Barb Blackburn" <Clem-Barb@juno.com>
> Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 15:21:34 -0700
> Subject: Not a joke.
> Message-ID: <NGBBLIIKJAFNHBFKEECOMEDACAAA.rueffman65@insightbb.com>
>
> I received this from a friend of mine, and found the mentioned file
on my
> hard drive. I am alerting everyone in my address book to do as it
> instructs.
>
> Matt-
>
> Hey Everybody,
> My address book has been infected with a virus and, as a result, so
has
> yours
> because your address is in my book. The virus is
> called jdbgmgr.exe. It cannot be detected by Norton or McAfee
anti-virus
> programs. It sits quietly for 14 days before damaging the system.
> It is sent automatically by messenger and by the address book,
whether or
> not
> you send e-mails. In essence, because you are in MY
> address Book, you are likely to be infected. Sorry. I followed the
> instructions below and it was easy to get rid of. I didn't really
think
> I'd
> find it, thinking it might
> be a nasty joke. Nope. It was there and now it's not.
> To get rid of it:
> 1. Go to start, then Find or Search
> 2. In Files/Folders, write the name jdbgmgr.exe
> 3. Be sure to search in your C: drive
> 4. Click Find or Search
> 5. The virus has a teddy bear logo with the name jdbgmgr.exe --DO NOT
> OPEN !
>
> 6. Right click and delete it
> 7. Go to the recycle bin and delete it there also.
>
> IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS, YOU MUST CONTACT EVERYONE IN
> YOUR ADDRESS BOOK.
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 09:07 PM   #2
XXL
Seņor Member

Hoax. See SARC

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 09:09 PM   #3
colohusker

It's a hoax. You can get more information here http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99436.htm

The file that it says to delete is actually the java debugger that comes with Internet Explorer. No major issues if you've deleted it, but it could cause problems on certain pages that have java applets on them.

Scott

'71 C10 Deluxe, factory ac, ps, pb, should be done by 2102

Longmont, CO
husker95@hotmail.com
colohusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 09:10 PM   #4
Hooter
My other Love

damn computer nerds they have too much time on their hands, they should get a chevy and then we wouldnt have any of these problems

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 11:01 PM   #5
Crank

hey that sounds like you're defacing Chevy's? Are you implying that you have to work on Chevy's all the time? You better be nice. lol.
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 01:17 AM   #6
Desert Rat

Thanks guys,i kinda figured it was a hox,for one i have no reason to be on this guys adress book,as i never recall talking with him,and thats alot of adresses to have in your adress book,musta took awhile to type them all.wish my time was worthless also.Thanks
Old 10-15-2002, 03:38 AM   #7
Xzavior240

actually guys and gals theres a virus loose called Klets right now. it affects the addy books. sends emails for you. mean stuff based on a trojan virus. a friend of mine got it a couple months back. her comp sent emails to everyone in her addy book. what it did was took a small portion of itself and sent it to all those people. she didnt know it because she hadnt sent it. the virus did. when she tried to delete it the thing started multiplying like rabbits on her hard drive. in a matter of 2 minutes it went from one virus to 20 viruses. all the virus programs she had couldnt contain it and the couldnt detect it until it was to late. good luck hope that aint what it is.
Xzavior240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 12:45 PM   #8
Desert Rat

Mcafee website claimed it to be a hoax,so i feel better.but who knows.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:02 PM   #9
treefrog

Virus

I get 15 + emails a day, and on some days, I'll get 2 -3 that are infected with something. Spend the $ 50 on Norton Anti-virus, it's the best money you can spend if you do much on the net. TF
treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 07:10 PM   #10
XXL
Seņor Member

As treefrog suggests, buy an anti-virus software (I prefer Symantec over Norton but I'm not trying to pitch software sales here). But also use your head. There is no such thing (at present) as an email virus. What is required is the execution of malicious code-- key word is execution. This means file attachments. If you don't want to get a virus through email, don't open attachments PERIOD. If you need to open attachments from time to time, be smart about it. If your buddy Clem sends you a "funny joke-- open this -- hurry" email, then you've got to decide if Clem is clean or not. This is like sleeping around. You know where you've been but you don't know where others have been.

Also, if you've opened an attachment and you have some discomfort that you may have contracted a virus, don't start deleting files. Deleting files RARELY helps anything. Most viruses are much more sophisticated than to be destroyed by deleting a single file. Read the Symantec Security Response Center for info on the latest virus threats, hoaxes, and so on. It's good info and they usually have new viruses cracked and "fixable" within hours of their detection. They are very good at this.

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 07:26 PM   #11
colohusker

Yep, antivirus software is a must have on any computer. But, simply installing it and forgetting about it does very little good. You should either configure the software to update itself every week, or manually do it once a week. Antivirus software is only as good as it's last dat file, older dats don't catch the latest viruses.

I'll give you an example. I'm the email admin for this company of about 550 people, and on average my antivirus software on the email server catches between 55 and 65 viruses a day coming in. I have it configured to check for updates every 6 hours, which has saved me from bugbear and klez during the last month alone.

If anyone thinks they have an infected file, let me know and I'll provide an email address to send it to have it scanned.

Scott

'71 C10 Deluxe, factory ac, ps, pb, should be done by 2102

Longmont, CO
husker95@hotmail.com
colohusker is offline   Reply With Quote