The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2006, 12:50 AM   #1
SHOWDOG

A/C Firewall Template

I am getting ready to swap a 72 AC unit in my son's non AC 67 Step. I understand I can either swap firewalls (sounds like fun) or cut my existing firewall by using a template from a donor or find someone junking an unusable AC cab and cut and weld that section in. Any suggestion/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Showdog
SHOWDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:50 AM   #2
Huck

Re: A/C Firewall Template

Easiest thing to do is to have someone draw the A/C firewall outline on a piece of paper and overlay it on your existing firewall. Mark the A/C design and cut the firewall appropriately. Better solution might be to go to an aftermarket setup eliminating the big box under the hood and a lot of old design stuff under the dash. New systems use a much more efficient compressor, are R34 current stuff, and take up less room. You may have to sacrafice some glove box space but the end result will probable be a lot less expensive.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:15 AM   #3
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

a pic
Attached Images

sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:17 AM   #4
mrein3

They say a picture is worth a thousand words so here goes.

I marked up that template because there seems to be some confusion with it.

The upper hole for the heater core in the non-ac trucks and the upper hole for the heater core in ac trucks line up. The other hole you need to make is marked in the center with a dimple from the factory. To make that hole I suggest you get a "Greenley" punch aka a sheetmetal hole punch.

To make the piece you need to weld in is easy if you have the factory box to bolt on to the outside of the firewall. Just make a trace on the back of that box. Then make a trace on the non-ac firewall. Then use the hole for the heater core that is in both firewalls and line up your two tracings. Now you can draw on one of them the shape of the "J" looking piece of metal you need to make. Cut it out and test the fit on the firewall. Now cut out a piece of sheetmetal and check it once again for fit.

Once it fits nicely grind off the paint around where you are going to weld and weld it in place.

Paint.

Install the rest of the AC stuff.
Attached Images

Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:59 AM   #5
SHOWDOG

Thanks for all the knowledge. This is a great site. Your help is very much appreciated. I have contemplated going with aftermarket stuff, but I have a complete system in a 72 parts truck. Not sure which is cheaper in the long run!
Many Thanks to you all!!!

SHOWDOG
SHOWDOG is offline   Reply With Quote