The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2006, 01:30 PM   #1
71/454
Turbo Guy

front end bushings

Anybody ever change the rubber bushings in the a-arms? is it a tough job?
71/454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:52 PM   #2
Eyegore
What Hump?

Re: front end bushings

it's a tough job but with patience it can be done, my son has done it twice and gets better everytime. One of the guys has a write-up on it on one of their sites captcaos (sp?) or other can't recall. do a search and you'll find it.
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:38 PM   #3
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

I did a full front end rebuild and it wasn't too bad, just took some time. I'd do it again if had to. Jeff has a article written by swervin on how to rebuild the front suspension, http://73-87.com/7387garage/chassis_...n/frontend.htm. I think Brandon (or Jon?) may have some further details. Try this thread, http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=control for some detailed pictures. While you are at it, you may also consider replacing the ball joints and any other worn parts. Instructions (in PDF) to replace the upper and lower ball joints may be found in this thread, http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=195752. Good luck.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:54 PM   #4
Prerunner1982

I did everything else except the control arm bushings... I paid local shop $100 to do it. I didnt have the tools/time/place to do it....
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:14 AM   #5
71/454
Turbo Guy

Thanks guys. I'm swapping the rubber bushing frontend into my 71 my steel bushings were beyond worn and two of my control arms were bent beyond repair. I went thru the junkyard and found the best looking aframes and bushings i could, came off a 90 sub. Two of the bushings were weather cracked but nothing is egg shaped. I'm doing all the ball joints and everything and wondered if i should do it all but i think i'll leave it after talking to some of the older guys and reading how difficult it could be. I was going to put in polyeurathane bushings i did these in my nissan and really liked the result, but in this case may be a waste of time and money, i do appreciate all the help though, cause i'll end up doing it some day i'm sure
71/454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:22 AM   #6
Bad Company

An air chisel a good vice and a sturdy bench help a lot.
Bad Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #7
75sierraclassic

has anyone used the high performance poly bushings?
Wondered if it made a difference compared to rubber.
75sierraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 04:38 PM   #8
454HO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75sierraclassic
has anyone used the high performance poly bushings?
Wondered if it made a difference compared to rubber.
The difference is that Poly bushings tend to squeek. I learned that the hard way. Now I always use Moog problem solver bushings. They are rubber, but they are stiffer than the OEM rubber bushings.

I did my trucks A-arms last year. The easiest way I have found to remove the old bushing is to heat up the outer shell until the rubber insert starts to swell. There is no need to make it catch on fire, just melt it enough to break the bond with the shell. Then push it out with a pry bar or large screwdriver. Once the rubber is out, use a hacksaw to slit the outer bushing shell. Then colapse it and it drops out. Takes maybe 5 minutes per bushing.

To press the new ones in, clean the bores of the control arm with a scotchbrite pad. Then put a thin film of motor oil on them. Then I 'rent' a ball joint press from Autozone to press them in. Putting the new bushings in the freezer the day before will shrink them a bit.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:54 PM   #9
beaterC10

I have had poly bushings on my lowered daily driver for about two years with no squeaks or other issues. I used a liberal amount of silicone marine grease when I assembled it.

I have poly bushings front and rear, they make a noticeable difference in the handling and the only issues I have is that the ride is stiffer.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:04 PM   #10
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

You need to use polygraphite bushings in the control arms. They are the black poly bushings and this means they are impregnated with graphite.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote