The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2006, 02:41 AM   #1
dean79339

ready to chop need help on marking cuts

I am ready to begin my chop. I am not sure on marking my cuts as there are angles on both the side of the rear panel and front pillars. Will the distance between my marks be greater on the side of the rear panel? (more than my desired chop) I know that it will be more on the front pillar because of the angle there. Should my cuts all be paralell to the floor or angled (square to each other) but equal on the front pillar. All I have looked at is the article posted on 73-87trucks.com in the garage section and it is not real clear.
They make it look easy but marking my cuts seems to be tricky.any tips or tricks here would help.
dean79339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 03:35 AM   #2
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Re: ready to chop need help on marking cuts

After reviewing the article, I would say that you're on the right track. For the rear panel and the rear post of the door, run the tape lines horizonally. Then as the imaginary horizonal lines reach the front post of the door and windshield, angle the tape line perpendiclar to the angle of the posts. The 'vertical' distance between all of the tape lines should be equal and will give you the final drop of the chop. Any sides (or posts) that are angled will measure out at a greater distance if you measure following the angle the of side (or post) instead of measuring strickly vertical. Maybe, it'll helps if you imagine the cut top dropping vertically down on the bottom cut. The distance of the 'vertical' drop must be the same. Of course, the roof and the top post of the doors will have to be cut to align themselves with the lower cut sections, hence the gaps. Once you get everything taped up, you could also measure the width of the upper line of each section with that of the lower line of each section to assure that both profiles will match once you make the cuts.

You may want to try to contact smashingchuck. He's chopped his truck a while back. He visit other truck forums, so you may have to do a search to find his contact information.

The pic is smashingchuck's truck.
Attached Images

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:12 AM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Welcome to the forum dean79339. We are glad to have new members here, and will help you when we can.

I mean no disrespect when I say this, but if you have to ask, you should not do it. Chopping a top requires a lot of fabricating skills, and knowledge of metal working. If you do not have that knowledge you stand a good chance of ruining a cab. Please research this thoroughly before you consider doing it...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:39 PM   #4
dean79339

Thanks for the input. I have obtained an extre cab to attempt my mods on. I plan to also try suicide doors and customizing the dash. If I mess it up no loss, at least I'll have fun trying and maybe learn a few things in the process.

What one man can do so can another it may be difficult and take me longer but I believe I can do this.

Really like this forum, it's great to find people with the same interest in these trucks.

I'll post pictures when I get farther along.
dean79339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:52 PM   #5
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean79339 View Post
Thanks for the input. I have obtained an extre cab to attempt my mods on. I plan to also try suicide doors...
Do these one at a time. Get the cab chopped and the doors chopped with the stock hinge setup. After you're happy with the fit, then go for the suicide setup.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 11:19 PM   #6
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

JESUS everybody can find a cab except for me!!! What are you doing with your original cab?

Have fun buddy
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:30 PM   #7
odie82

ck out the chop and the bed on this one, took pic at a car show over the summer
Attached Images

2003 suzuki gsxr 1000-hit 175mph!!!
yeah it's fast-no you can't ride it
odie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:32 PM   #8
AesC10s
Chevy truck addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by odie82 View Post
ck out the chop and the bed on this one, took pic at a car show over the summer
is it on a blazer frame?
AesC10s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:37 PM   #9
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AesC10s View Post
is it on a blazer frame?
No reason it should be. That thing's waaaay short.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:37 PM   #10
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz View Post

You may want to try to contact smashingchuck. He's chopped his truck a while back. He visit other truck forums, so you may have to do a search to find his contact information.

The pic is smashingchuck's truck.
Hey, I lurk around here too... I didn't do the chop on my truck, but I could try to get you some measurements off of it if you think that might help you. Mine is chopped about 6".

4Runner Build

Last edited by smashingchuck; 08-29-2006 at 09:39 PM.
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:18 PM   #11
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Thanks, smashingchuck.
I didn't know you lurked here as well. I hope you didn't mind me throwing your name/truck out on here.

BTW, now that you mentioned it, I now remember you mentioning that the previous owner did the chop. I guess I just got confused with all the fab work you did on the suspension.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:42 PM   #12
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz View Post
Thanks, smashingchuck.
I didn't know you lurked here as well. I hope you didn't mind me throwing your name/truck out on here.

BTW, now that you mentioned it, I now remember you mentioning that the previous owner did the chop. I guess I just got confused with all the fab work you did on the suspension.
nah... I don't care... I do need to take some updated pics so people don't have to look at that same one over and over again though. The chopped top is now about the onything I didn't have a hand in... everything has been chaged since I bought it.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:24 PM   #13
84 400
Sb 400 club

yeah man throw up some new pics i am thinking of doing a similar style truck to yours. i am using an 85 that is a rusty bucket. i am notgonna chop it but i will be shaving the handles and locks, maybe drop it and i am gonna run some red ralliew. i know some might think it a waste of time and money to put so much into a rusty northern truck but i figure it will be fun to learn how to do this stuff and when all is sad and don i might have fixed the rusty panals
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:08 PM   #14
dswancutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffsta View Post
JESUS everybody can find a cab except for me!!! What are you doing with your original cab?

Have fun buddy
Cliff, I thought you had a line on a 75 or so LWB? It fall through, or not as good as it first appeared.
dswancutt is offline   Reply With Quote