The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2006, 01:43 AM   #26
pimperout

Re: I'm mad at the first owner of my truck...

better than my 70 GMC looks like a previous owner tried to re-wire it or somehting, all the wires are the wrong colors, then main cab power wire exploded melting all the wires together in the front wire gutter then the main power wire was replaced with a reallly thin black wire which was dangled just in front of the fan it was absolutly horifying, its gonna b fun when i do the resto on it
pimperout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:47 AM   #27
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

Okay, here is what you want to hear. I know you are snickering about everyone elses comments. Cut that bad boy behind the cab, keep the tailgate and tail lamps and rear bumper if it came with sport bumper, next throw away that 4 door long bed piece of junk away, custom build the rear frame section, install a swb bed, vintage a/c with small block and auto trans. big billets and airbags. There, now you have a truck. Good luck with the build, nice clean base to start with. You would spend considerably more money on bodywork, path panels, downtime, and your truck locked up in bodyshop prison just to get the cab as nice as that one. Trust me I know, I am in bodywork for a living.
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 02:35 PM   #28
beeftip

Thanks for all the replies. I'm really torn now.

I always kind of thought that it would be a shame to really alter this truck as it is in such original shape. But, my thinking was that its a long bed with a spray in bedliner and "option poor". I don't think it will ever really command a high price if kept original. I also know that I'll never get back what I put into it other than my own personal pleasure. It just really sucks to drive it more than 50 miles. But it's great for going to the dump, Home Depot and the occasional car show. In fact, we won a best in class trophy last year in the 1947-1992 unmodified truck class.

I had a theme in mind for the restification of this truck... 1970 Chevy C-10 SS. I was going to redo the grill so that the "Chevrolet" would no longer be debossed and rechrome it. Then I was going to slap an SS badge on the front. For the engine and trans I was thinking 502 Ramjet from GM performance mated with a TH 400 with Gear Vendors Overdrive. Move the gas tank out of the cab and put 1972 Cheyenne buckets and console in. Instead of the repro seat covers, I was going to use hand tooled western saddle leather. That same leather would be used for the door panels and headliner. Then slap a suede dash pad on for good measure.

I would keep it a long bed, but put in a wood bed liner using teak. It would actually be a teak veneer over a cheaper wood. Here's my favorite part: instead of the woodgrain body moulding I wanted to use real wood, teak again of course. I would use this on the door panels as well.

Finish it off with a 2/4 drop, SS wheels and a Hugger Orange paint job with Black SS stripes. Or maybe black body paint and instead of the white CST stripe between the mouldings I'd use hugger orange. Haven't quite figured that out yet.

But, like I said, I'm torn. I don't think I lose either way. I was being "tongue-in-cheek" with my original post. I just didn't really realize how much money was going to be involved, and I can probably double what I'm estimating and still not cover it all.

So again, thanks for the replies. This forum is really f@*#ing cool!

Darren
Manual Drum Brakes
Permanently foggy windshield
Weak Wiper Motor
Squeaky Clutch and Brake Pedal
Really Cool Green Paint
It's for sale!
beeftip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 03:27 PM   #29
clay68c10

Do it!
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:01 PM   #30
Sweet72

You wouldn't know a nice truck if it bit you in the ass. Your wife made you buy it? You sure sound like a dumba__ to me, but I could be wrong... That's one of the nicest trucks I've seen on here, and to cut it up and f__k it up would be a shame. But as others have said, it's your truck. Have fun and enjoy the site.
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:14 PM   #31
alblogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72 View Post
You wouldn't know a nice truck if it bit you in the ass. Your wife made you buy it? You sure sound like a dumba__ to me, but I could be wrong... That's one of the nicest trucks I've seen on here, and to cut it up and f__k it up would be a shame. But as others have said, it's your truck. Have fun and enjoy the site.
A guy here local has one identical to that truck, I thought it was his when I first saw it until I saw beeftip's was a three speed. My buddies was an automatic. His Dad bought the truck new and they restored it back original. Now since his Dad has passed away he has something to look back on to remember him and all the work they did together on the project together.
Tuner,Viper
'88 K1500 Cheyenne, 5.0, stock, bought new
'86 Nissan 720 Trash Truck
'69 C/10 step side, 307, all original, second owner, in process of restore.

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrurt the person doing it.
Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.

Allen- Paintman
Wrenchtwister
Broompusher
alblogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:35 PM   #32
oldcycler

Nice Truck. I would keep it the way it is. I am the second owner of an all original 67 short stepside. I plan on keeping it stock - you don't see many left that way. They attract more attention than the modified ones.
oldcycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:16 PM   #33
ghetto_superman

VERY nice truck!! IMO you do what you want.. but if youre gonna cut up that grille, ill give you a decent one to cut up so i can have that nice one! those grilles are like MUCHO money to buy new with the 'chevy' in them. dont destroy it. hack up an old one.
ghetto_superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:16 PM   #34
beeftip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72 View Post
Ouch! Okay.

I'll keep it stock and sell it.

Darren
Manual Drum Brakes
Permanently foggy windshield
Weak Wiper Motor
Squeaky Clutch and Brake Pedal
Really Cool Green Paint
It's for sale!
beeftip is offline   Reply With Quote