The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2007, 12:51 PM   #1
Ole Blue 68

Inline Fuel Filter

Alright, I've sprung a leak on my second inline fuel filter in less than 6 months so I gotta be doing something wrong. The first was a glass one and I figured it was just the filter but this second one was an all metal one from Edelbrock that seemed pretty solid.

My fuel line is steel till about the manifold and then it's rubber up to the carb so I cut the rubber line about halfway up and put the filter in there. I saw somewhere that said you shouldn't put the filter higher than your manifold (of course, after I had already put it on).

Anybody got any info on this?
Ole Blue 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
WorkinLonghorn

Re: Inline Fuel Filter

I don't understand,the filter is leaking,or the fuel line? Did I read this right? ( I'm pre-coffee here). I've got an in-line filter same place as you and have never had a problem except maybe a loose clamp. If the LINE is leaking (you are using approved fuel line I'm sure) replace it. If the filter is leaking get a better filter.
Because my side tanks are kinda crusty inside,I use a large filter about the size of a lawn mower muffler and occasionally have to blow it out or replace it.
I don't think it should matter about the location.-cougar
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, stereo speakers, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:08 PM   #3
Ole Blue 68

The filter's leaking not the line. I figured it was quality of the filter the first time around but the second one's an Edelbrock and it's pretty hefty.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:36 PM   #4
WorkinLonghorn

That's pretty weird. I got mine at the local cheapo parts place and got the biggest one they had,due to the unique problem I had. You sure the clamp wasn't a bit loose and gas got sprayed onto the filter?
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, stereo speakers, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
Ole Blue 68

At first, I thought it might be the clamps but couldn't tighten 'em anymore and then when I looked closer I could still see gas dripping off the the filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar View Post
That's pretty weird. I got mine at the local cheapo parts place and got the biggest one they had,due to the unique problem I had. You sure the clamp wasn't a bit loose and gas got sprayed onto the filter?
Old 01-08-2007, 02:38 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Without looking at it it's hard to say but I would bet it's leaking somewhere else and running down onto the filter. First thing I would do would be to replace the rubber fuel hose. Make sure you get fuel line and not vacuum hose.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:21 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

your location is fine... it's under the truck you don't want to put the filter.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:41 PM   #8
Ole Blue 68

I'll double check after work today but I'm pretty sure it was coming from the filter. Unless I got a pinhole leak somewhere on the back of the hose....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Without looking at it it's hard to say but I would bet it's leaking somewhere else and running down onto the filter. First thing I would do would be to replace the rubber fuel hose. Make sure you get fuel line and not vacuum hose.....

LockDoc
Old 01-08-2007, 07:05 PM   #9
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

I've had problems with fuel line leaks and filters. I think everyone has. Usually they're so small you don't notice them. One problem is the screw style clamps, they don't seal evenly. The old spring clamps work best. Also, a sealant can be used. Permatex Hylomar is a non-hardening sealant developed by Rolls-Royce for gasoline contact. Only one that I know of, buy it at the auto parts store. Smear a hylomar on the nipples before assembly.

The problem with putting the filter below the manifold is due to leakage. My 52 has the filter between the tank and pump, it used to slowly drain the fuel out of the line, meaning it took a while cranking to start if it sat for more than a day. The hylomar took care of that very small leak, nd the problem stopped.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:46 PM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

havin the filter between the tank and pump can also cause or worsen vapor lock conditions.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:44 PM   #11
MisterMan
Account Suspended

some of thoes cheap filters will leak if vibrating too much.
MisterMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:59 PM   #12
gyjackson

It would be a good idea to replace the rubber lines and clamps.....cheap anyway....besides you have probably leaked more than enuff gas to pay for a whole new line from the pump up. Fuel pressure should only be 5-10psi max. Even a beer can will handle twice that pressure. I bet your filter is fine. A quick test, take it out of the line, let it dry put a finger over one end, a piece of hose on the inlet (with clamp), stick it under water and blow in the hose. (bubbles tell no lies).....Good luck!!
gyjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:13 AM   #13
Ole Blue 68

Well I looked it over yesterday after work and it was the filter after all. Even though it's all an metal unit and pretty hefty, the housing must have vibrated loose. I tightened it and re-installed. Hopefully that will be the end of it. If it happens again, I'll try some sealant. And if that don't work, I'm yanking it out.