The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
sjarrett71

Steering gear box/coupler

I replaced my old leaking power steering gear box in my 71 4x4 last week (before the ice) and the coupler was too small for my new box. I got it on with a large hammer but the bolt wouldn't go back in because it spread apart. I researched the part number before I bought the new box and it was the same for several years so I assume it is the right box. The PO put the p/s on as the truck didn't originally have it and I remember from other threads that there were 2 sizes of shafts/couplers on the boxes. Is it possible that the p/s the PO put on was from a newer truck? Does anyone know what size shaft I have, it should be the bigger one I'm assuming. Does anyone know where I can get a new or good used coupler that actually fits? isn't it neat to find all the stuff that a PO did that was not correct when you go to fix something?
Old 01-15-2007, 06:19 PM   #2
whatnow123

Re: Steering gear box/coupler

Yes, there are two sizes. When I rebuilt the front end on the 67 I installed a new power steering box in place of the original manual box that was there. The rag joint (that is it's official name) that was for the manual box was too small for the new power steering box. I called around local but didn't find one (no one had it) so I ended up having to order a new one, got a underbed tank delivered at the same time. All the board vendors carry them. I didn't need it immediately as my truck is currently in pieces all over the place.

I think the rag joint is about $50 or so.

Last edited by whatnow123; 01-15-2007 at 06:21 PM.
whatnow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:01 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Go to your local salvage yard and get the rag joint you need to fit the box, then go to the auto parts store and get a rag joint rebuild kit. (about 15 bucks) Make one out of the two.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:02 AM   #4
sjarrett71

So I guess I would ask for a rag joint for a 71 4x4 since that's the box I got? Anyone know what all years and models would fit? I know they all pretty much look alike, just looking for cross reference because the yards around here don't have a lot of old stuff.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:58 PM   #5
GlennBrittain

The 1977 through 1986 power steering box has a 3/4" shaft, the 1968 through 1976 has a 13/16" shaft. I found out the hard way, ordered a rebuilt 69 power steering box from NAPA. After much frustration and $*&%^$ I went back to NAPA. They were kind enough to explain the differance and exchange the unit. I had a 77 model power steering box and modified rag joint. You can use the half of a 77 rag joint that goes on the power steering box and the half of a 69 rag joint that goes on the steering column. That is if you have the later model power steeing box.
GlennBrittain is offline   Reply With Quote