The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2007, 08:55 PM   #1
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

I broke it again!

well on this episode of 1983 silverado haven...a.k.a....hells @zzhole...

I managed to get everything back together, but forgot to dip the lifters in oil prior to installing them (I was in a hurry as usual). So needless to say, I froze 7 lifters and snapped 6 pushrods, bent one and scared the **** out of everyone in the dorm when I pulled in sounding like a honda from hell.

other than that, the beautification is going alright, installing my neons this weekend (LED underbody, wheel well kit, and interior LED kit)...as well as my roll pan...rofl...you think I'd actually be concerned about fixing the motor, but naw...I need the exercise and my work squadron is only a 15 minute walk one way, so I dont fret at all....

anyway...thats my latest all! see ya next episode... with pictures

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Re: I broke it again!

Dipping the lifters in oil wouldn't have caused you to break anything. I have never dipped my lifters in oil before installing them. Sounds like you had them too tight. Anyway though, that sure is a bummer.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:03 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

now ive always been told you soak the lifters in oil then take a pushrod and push the center of the lifter in so you get oil inside the lifter. That has never failed me yet

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

That's the proper way old Rusty, Always soak like over night before installing.
That reduces the chances of damaging the internal seals and piston from dry start-up.

I also agree with improper adjustment swervin.
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:02 PM   #5
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I'm sorry, but that is not the proper way. Comp Cams recommends installing them not pumped. They also say you can soak them if you like but it's not required. Notice soaking, not pumping them up. Here is a copy directly from their installation page.

Step 9: Remove your new COMP Cams® lifters from the packaging and clean the lifters thoroughly in
mineral spirits or an equivalent solvent. Remember, in order to protect your camshaft warranty new
COMP Cams® lifters must be installed on flat tappet cams. It is not necessary to “pre-pump”
hydraulic lifters full of engine oil prior to installation and valve adjustment. It is actually undesirable
to do so as the “pumped up” lifters will cause the valves to open during the adjustment process, rather
than positioning the lifter plunger in its operating position as it is supposed to do. “Pre-soaking”
hydraulic lifters in a bath of engine oil is a good idea, but not mandatory. Doing so ensures that the
lifters are adequately lubricated on their outer surfaces prior to installation.

1985 Chevy C-10

Last edited by swervin ervin; 04-26-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:53 PM   #6
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

yea...so my new set of em, Im gonna do a 24 hour soak, hell, I have all the time in the world (living in the dorms and all, and yea...that is a bad thing). new chrome molys on the way, a long with a mechanics stethoscope (so I can make em seemlessly perfect about the timing). I still have to figure out how to adjust my new damn carb! the screw all the way out (edelbrock 1406 600 cfm with elec choke), and the sumbeetch still idles at 2800! if yall can suggest on wtf to do there Im extremely obliged...oh yea, I'll upload meh new photos of her over the weekend in its own post with lights and rollpan...all that fun googly chit

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
Old 04-27-2007, 12:44 AM   #7
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Sounds like fun, hope you have better luck the second time around!
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:38 AM   #8
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

On yer carb issue, seems like yer butterflies ain't closing all the way down, look at the choke linkage and fast idle cam on the passenger side. That's why my Q-jet was converted to manual choke, and that's why my current double-pumper Holley has a home-made manual choke too - engine does exactly what I tell it to, and in case something ever goes horribly bad I can still kill it by cutting its air supply off.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:18 AM   #9
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Always soak like over night before installing.
That reduces the chances of damaging the internal seals and piston from dry start-up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swervin ervin View Post
“Pre-soaking”
hydraulic lifters in a bath of engine oil is a good idea
As you see swervin I said soak not pump, I attended a 3 year technical training course and was in the auto biz some 15yrs. before a back injury put me out. I have built countless engines and would NEVER install lifters without soaking.

To each his own.....

Cya
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:47 PM   #10
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Well, I don't have any degrees but only 35 years experience of working on vehicles and engines. I have never soaked lifters before installing them. Only cam lube on the lobes. Of course I do prime the engine before firing, which does oil the lifters. I have never, repeat never, lost a lifter or cam lobe. But if it works for you, by all means keep doing it. To each his own I always say.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 04-28-2007, 12:56 AM   #11
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

Im working on the cosmetics of it for now...since I have all that **** laying around anyway. putting my LED underbody kit on tomorrow, and interior LEDs...then I will prolly finish fixin a couple dents (new tailgate, and fender to come)..and then primer black the baby she be my "Dark Laison"....so sexy....

anyway...peace for now all.