The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
Jim85IROC

Need a new bedside... where do I buy?

One of the bedsides on my truck was replaced before I bought it. The other side is getting pretty bad, especially behind the taillight opening and above the tailgate hinge.

Also, the support rails under the bed need some help.

I'd love to just get a whole new bed, but the chances of finding an all original one in good enough shape around here isn't real likely, though I'll continue looking between now and when I get around to buying the new parts.

I've looked at LMC and Classic Trucks (Chevy Duty) so far. LMC is $300 plus $100 for shipping. Chevy Duty is $275 plus $221 for shipping. I'm also going to check with my Keystone guy to see if he can get them, but they're not in their catalog anymore. I see that Goodmark doesn't carry them.

Does anybody know of other places I should check, and does anybody have any comments about fitment of one brand vs. another? The guy at Chevy Duty didn't know who their manufacturer is, and I suspect a similar response from LMC. I don't know what's on the other side of my truck right now, but the panel fits well except that the tail light opening isn't tight on the tail light.

Thanks
My Sounddomain Page
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
ChaseDale3and8

Re: Need a new bedside... where do I buy?

I bought my left from Chevy Duty a couple of years back. Truck freight is expensive! I paid right at $400 for mine by the time that I paid the freight which was $150 plus the $250 that the bedside cost back then. They ship it to you on a pallet via 18 wheeler, or at least that's how mine showed up, on a Yellow Freight truck. No UPS here.

The quality from Chevy Duty isn't that bad but I must warn you that you have to make it fit to line up with the tailgate to make it look right. Lots of tweaking and adjusting. And you will have dings and dents that will need repair. I don't think that it matters where you get it from, it will be the same story.

I bought a rust free original GM bedside off of an 87 for mine at the swap meet here in Springfield, Mo. this past weekend. It will be going on my truck as soon as I get a chance to install it.

As far as other sources, I shopped around before I bought mine, but Chevy Duty beat every one else by the time you figure up the price of the bedside and shipping cost. Of course I live just 3 hours from K.C. so that helped me.

Brothers has them but they are $349.95 plus truck freight.Classic Industries lists both aftermarket and original GM in their catalog, but the original GM is well over $1200 per side plus truck freight! You might also want to check Cheyenne Pickup Parts.

Goodmark doesn't sell bedsides for the 73-87s as far as I know. You might also want to check with the vendors on this site as well.

The thing that really kills you on these things is the truck freight. I would check locally and see if you could find one that way first, then if not, decide which one that you would want to order from. It seems they are all different on the price of the part and truck freight.

Oh yeah, I was told when I ordered mine that if I had needed both sides it would have been one shipping cost for both. It would save you a little bit of money if you can still do it that way, Ask them and see what they tell you, it sure won't hurt. ...Joe
Old 08-27-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
Jim85IROC

Truck freight is why I'm really hoping that Keystone will be able to get it for me. Keystone delivers to my father's body shop, so I'd be able to avoid the freight costs, plus if I get one that is full of dents, I can have them take it back, although when you get something all the way from Taiwan, it's going to always have a few dings.
My Sounddomain Page
Old 08-27-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
ChaseDale3and8

Here's a couple of pictures of my tail light area. Left is aftermarket, rightis original. ...Joe
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2007, 09:12 PM   #5
Blackstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Truck freight is why I'm really hoping that Keystone will be able to get it for me. Keystone delivers to my father's body shop, so I'd be able to avoid the freight costs, plus if I get one that is full of dents, I can have them take it back, although when you get something all the way from Taiwan, it's going to always have a few dings.

.... That's what I like about Keystone. Being able to inspect the parts before taking delivery is priceless. They do show bedsides in their catalog. Here are some part #'s if it helps...

#GM1756106 - box side, 8 foot, w/square fuel hole, LH, 73-87, list... $484
#GM1757104 - box side, 8 foot, w/square fuel hole, RH, 73-87, list... $484

Also listed are both sides W/O fuel holes for $524 each. They quoted me on a pile of parts at around 20% below list, so I suspect that buying through the body shop will put you where you hope to be.
Blackstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:51 AM   #6
Jim85IROC

Thanks. When I get time I'll call and see if they can still get me those part numbers.

I wonder if I feel like taking on the task of cutting the tail light pocket out of my original panel and welding it into the aftermarket panel, or if I'd rather just live with the poor fit...
My Sounddomain Page
Old 08-28-2007, 09:20 AM   #7
ChaseDale3and8

The thing that gripes me about these aftermarket panels is that they do fit poorly most of the time and don't look as good as the original part that they are replacing. You'd think that the aftermarket that we support would try a lot better to satisfy the customers that support them and keep them in business.

I wish that you were a lot closer to me bud. I have a complete parts truck that I could sell you that has a fairly nice bed on it. It's just beginning to get a little bit of surface rust up around the wheelwell openings. Even the inside of it is pretty straight except one spot on the bed floor at the back. It could easily be straightened out. But you are too far away.

Anyway good luck to you and keep us posted on the progress and if you are able to get those bedsides locally. If you can do that, it would likely be the cheaper way to go. ...Joe
Old 08-28-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
Eyegore
What Hump?

Have you tried the dealersip? I know you'll pay through the wazoo but it'll be better than the after market. I called on my shortbed, i believe they said $1200, I was suprised they still carried them.
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:03 PM   #9
Jim85IROC

My father checked, and the Keystone bed sides are still available, and the price is right. If I go aftermarket, that'll be the way I go.

I've also started to search around for other stuff. I found a guy with brand new GM bedsides for $500 each, so those are a consideration. I'm also starting to look for full beds, as well as cheap trucks with good beds. If I can find the right truck, I'll buy the truck and either swap beds, or take the bed and part the rest out.
My Sounddomain Page
Old 08-28-2007, 02:34 PM   #10
ChaseDale3and8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyegore View Post
Have you tried the dealersip? I know you'll pay through the wazoo but it'll be better than the after market. I called on my shortbed, i believe they said $1200, I was suprised they still carried them.

I was going to go with an original GM bedside on mine. I have a buddy at my local Chevy dealer that works in the parts department. I had him check on them for me back last summer because I wasn't happy with this aftermarket one.

He told me that they were still listed, and that my cost on it was going to be $850. I told him to order me one. I waited a couple of weeks and stopped in because I hadn't heard back. He told me that he had just found out that GM had discontinued themafter he thought something had went wrong and had re-ordered it a second time and it didn't show up.

He said the longbeds were the first ones that GM discontinued some time back, but he was sure that the shortbeds were still available when I called, so he ordered me one the day that I called.

He was surprised that they didn't send one because it was still showing as a current part number. He called them before I showed up to find out where my bedside was only to find out the part had been discontinued.

Luckily, I just found a good used one off of an 87 for mine. It may be used but it's rust free and I know that it will fit and look right. ...Joe
Old 08-28-2007, 02:48 PM   #11
ChaseDale3and8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
My father checked, and the Keystone bed sides are still available, and the price is right. If I go aftermarket, that'll be the way I go.

I've also started to search around for other stuff. I found a guy with brand new GM bedsides for $500 each, so those are a consideration. I'm also starting to look for full beds, as well as cheap trucks with good beds. If I can find the right truck, I'll buy the truck and either swap beds, or take the bed and part the rest out.
Personally I'd go with the GM bedsides if I found a new set like that. You know that they will fit and look right. They won't be that much more than the Keystone ones by the time that you buy them and put labor into making them fit and look right.

One other thing to consider is that the GM part is thicker steel than the aftermarket, although I haven't had any problems with the one that I have. I just feel that the GM parts are the way to go when and if you can find them. You just won't beat the fit or quality of an original GM part!

Like I said before, if you were a lot closer I have a complete parts truck, but VT. and Mo. are quite a ways apart, so your best option would be to go with those new GM bedsides.

You had mentioned something about your bed floor as well. You can buy those new through the aftermarket as well because I have seen them. If you don't plan to use your truck hard and your bed floor is trashed it might be an option that you'd want to look into. Of course there are always patch panels too.

Good luck bud. Post up some pics when you get going on this thing I like looking at everyones progress. It helps motivate me! ...Joe
Old 08-28-2007, 02:52 PM   #12
Jim85IROC

The thing about the GM one... if the other bed side was still GM I'd be all over it, but why spend extra money to put a GM on one side when the other side is already a POS aftermarket?

Right now a whole replacement bed is sounding like a better idea if I can find one.
My Sounddomain Page
Old 08-28-2007, 03:04 PM   #13
ChaseDale3and8

Classic Industries used to sell a complete bed kit for $995. It had the floor, wheelhouses, front bed panel and bedsides. You might want to check with them and see if they still have them. The catalog that I have is a couple of years old. If they still carry this kit,it would definately be a much cheaper way to get an entire new bed. Hope this helps.

Part numbers for the bed kits are as follows:

T70248 is for the 6.5 ft shortbed
T70250 is for the 8 ft longbed
You can contact them at 1-800-854-1280 or on the web at:
www.classicindustries.com

I guess I misunderstood about the GM bedside. I thought that you had found a pair of them. If you had it would definately be the way to go. ...Joe
Old 08-28-2007, 03:46 PM   #14
Blackstone

You could also try these guys. They often have complete beds in good shape for $500-$600 if you catch them at the right time. They are located in southern Maine near the NH border.

http://www.justchevytrucks.com/
Blackstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:24 PM   #15
Jim85IROC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseDale3and8 View Post
Classic Industries used to sell a complete bed kit for $995. It had the floor, wheelhouses, front bed panel and bedsides. You might want to check with them and see if they still have them. The catalog that I have is a couple of years old. If they still carry this kit,it would definately be a much cheaper way to get an entire new bed. Hope this helps.

Part numbers for the bed kits are as follows:

T70248 is for the 6.5 ft shortbed
T70250 is for the 8 ft longbed
You can contact them at 1-800-854-1280 or on the web at:
www.classicindustries.com

I guess I misunderstood about the GM bedside. I thought that you had found a pair of them. If you had it would definately be the way to go. ...Joe
I did find a pair, but I don't really have a grand to dump into the bed of my truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackstone
You could also try these guys. They often have complete beds in good shape for $500-$600 if you catch them at the right time. They are located in southern Maine near the NH border.

http://www.justchevytrucks.com/
Sweet. Thanks.
My Sounddomain Page
Old 08-28-2007, 05:41 PM   #16
mbgmike

We sell the 6ft and 8 footers last I remember. The 6 footers sell for $350.00 plus $145.00 truck freight to Vermount. Thats about the best we can do.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:48 PM   #17
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

I don't sell them due to so many returns because they weren't perfect and bolted up with out any alignment issues when they arrived , but I understand the Keystone ones are pretty good. I had a member put some on his truck. Here is the post of the before/after...

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/sm...?topic=5095.15
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:34 PM   #18
streetstar

I went junkyard scrounging today --- i never knew it was such a ***** to get good bedsides--- i need a driver's side w/out the fuel hole. i was going to buy a repo one until i heard some of the gripes about them. Mine's a 75, but the only thing close i could find were later ones with the square fuel filler door. I'm not much on welding in a patch panel , so i passed on it

Up until recently, i didnt even consider these trucks to be old, but come to think of it, an '87 is 20 and my 75 is 32 --- geez
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:10 PM   #19
texassquarebodies
Truck Nut

Last edited by N2TRUX; 08-29-2007 at 08:09 PM. Reason: You must be a subscribing member to post a "For Sale" ad....:)
texassquarebodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:00 PM   #20
mbgmike

Actually the ones from Keystone are not made by Keystone. They just distribute. Many of there parts are TriPlus and others.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote