The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-25-2002, 01:33 PM   #1
hecticblasts

Tilt column van interchange

I'm considering a tilt column for my '72 C-20 V-8 auto truck.I keep reading about the usage of chevy van tilt steering columns in our trucks.For those of you in the know,what years can be used,what are the modifications needed to swap them in?I'm planning on hitting the junkyards next week to check on availability.Thanks.HF
hecticblasts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 02:43 PM   #2
neonlarry

I think any column that doesn't have the ingition switch on the column will work. It seems like they are pretty common in some places. but I have been looking for one around here for a long time, and I can't seem to find one anywhere.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 06:37 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I got mine off of an '81 GMC, so I know up to '81 at least.
You'll need to shortn eht shaft, either by cutting it dowm, or just slamming it on the ground and making it colapse. (I'll be doing the latter)
Also, the Neutral safety switch will be in the way, I have been told you can file it down a little to clear the brake pedal, but I have not trid it yet. Most ppl relocate it...but I don't quite see how.
Other than that, its a r&r.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 09:23 PM   #4
rayville body
Account Suspended

i was looking at one today that my wifes uncle gave me and was wondering about the lenght difference too. the bad thing is that i cant get the column out of the van untill he pulls the motor
rayville body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 09:23 AM   #5
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

For Van tilt installation, check this out. Here is the link:

www.geocities.com/sshevnock/home.html

Once in the site click on Tech articles, then the Van installation is the first article.

Jim

Last edited by JimKshortstep4x4; 12-26-2002 at 09:28 AM.
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 12:31 PM   #6
hecticblasts

Thank you all for the replies and the link.I did a search on the site and came up with another link and some very good info.Looking at my old Hollander book it shows columns for vans from '72-'74 with the same interchange #,'75-'76 have their own interchange,'77 is by itself and from '78-'81 thy share their own interchange,on '82 they started adding the pulse wiper and it has a different interchange #.That's as far as my book goes.HF
hecticblasts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 12:54 PM   #7
kaycee

Pretty Easy

I put my tilt in about a year a go fit good some mod's will have to be done though.Shorten the shaft for 1 and yes the NSS (neutral safety switch)will have to be moved down the colum.Or u can leave it out and let it hang from the wires make sure it is in the right step or your truck won't start.The drawback to this is you wont have backup lights.Which Ididn't mind for allmost a year.Move it down the colum far enough to clear the brake light switch ,been there done that. I cut the the window out for the NSS with a 4" grinder wth cutoff wheel, then I finneshed it off with the dremel tool .After that was all done u have to tack weld in a lip for the NSS to operate.Allso you will have to convert your wire's to accept the flat connecter This can be done with spade conectors and some solder.It took me about 1 1/2 days to do this HOPE THIS HELP'S IN SOME WAY OR ANOTHER
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 01:42 PM   #8
67/72junkie
Account Suspended

tilt

No need to cut an solder .Adapter with seperate plugs on each end is cheap at parts store.I have done several ,relocated switch with dremel also.It's not to bad after the first and you know what to look for.I lightly heated lower shaft to remove pins"plastic teflon whatever they are" to make it collapsable.After installation and adjusting .I drilled new holes in the inner shart and tapped in new roll pins.
67/72junkie is offline   Reply With Quote